Aftermarket USB-C Charging Cable for 15" Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by leftywamumonkey, Nov 13, 2016.

1. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

Would any USB-C charging cable be okay to use to charge the new 15" Macbook Pro with the Touch Bar, or does it have to be a Thunderbolt 3 cable to be able to charge the Macbook at the same rate?

I'm looking at this one specifically. It's 10ft long! Especially helpful since the new Macbook Pro does not come with an extension cable.

2. anson42 macrumors regular

Shouldn't have to be a TB3 cable. The Apple 2 meter cable has this to say, which indicates that it is not a TB3 cable, just USB 2:

It appears to be rated for use with the new 87W MBP, so let's hope that it actually allows for full wattage and that it is the same quality of cable shipped with the MBP 15".

But not just any USB-C cable is sufficient though. I have yet to find a non-Apple USB-C cable rated to pass 87W, only 60W. Perhaps some do but they have not yet been tested to do so.

3. leftywamumonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

So is the Wattage the only concern? What about the Amperage as well? I'm not sure if the one I liked in my OP will work at full charging speeds.

4. FoxMcCloud macrumors 6502a

5. anson42 macrumors regular

Watts are just voltage (volts) times current (amps). Many cables I've seen will pass 2.4A or 3A so a 20V source with a 3A allowance will be 60W, a common value on those cables. I actually don't know what voltage the 87W Apple charger boasts nor what current handling the Apple cables have. Hope to find out though.

6. BL4NKF4CE macrumors newbie

BL4NKF4CE

I tried a 10 ft USB-C 3.1 cable and it didn't work. It worked for the thin 12" macbook though, but not on my 15" MBP.

7. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I believe 100W is the max for the spec, so that would be 20V * 5A.

8. bartvk macrumors 6502

bartvk

Seconded.

Don't get weird cables, get stuff that has been vetted thoroughly. The whole USB-C cable thing is new, and many manufacturers get it wrong. Not just electrically, but also mechanically: I've held USB-C connectors in my hand that looked very nice, but I couldn't connect them to my MBP without forcing it.

9. Sanpete macrumors 68020

The cable doesn't give any specs, and doesn't even appear on the manufacturer website, so . . .

It claims to be for the MacBook, but that's a smaller device. 87W is a lot for a 10-foot cable.

10. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

One worry with aftermarket charging cables is that they can (and have) destroyed devices. Even several cables that are advertised as being within USB-IF specs or certification have had issues (as they turned out to not actually be compliant in construction and/or simply lied about the certification.) For now, using only OEM Apple charging cables may be worth it for the peace of mind (as should an aftermarket cable fry the system, it is unlikely that Apple will cover it under warranty given it was caused by a bad third-party part that Apple had no control over.)