Again an Imac i5 2.7 buying advice please...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by turkuaz, Dec 11, 2011.

1. turkuaz macrumors newbie

Hi guys

I am about to pull the trigger and buy an Imac 27 Inch

I want something that lasts for at least 5 years

I am enthusiast photographer.

I will use my computer for internet, large pdf files, photography, aperture ( I have 20.000 images, each of them over 10 mb), CS5 and final cut pro for amateur reasons. I am not a gamer. May be I play games sometimes with the 27 inch screen, who knows!

So I am thinking of getting the 27 inch base model i5 2.7 with SSD.
    Would it be powerful enough for me or do you think i should go for the i7 model with the better GPU ( which is a bit over my budget). I don't want any delays or to see the ball spinning while trying to edit the images on aperture. is the 512 mb Gpu enough for my purpose?

thanks in advance and sorry for my english...

Really appreciate if you can help me on decide which one to buy...

2. D4F Guest

D4F

More than enough. Just make sure you supply yourself with external storage.
    I use heavy 3D rendering together with After Effects without a issue. Photoshop with files going north of 150MB not a single issue.
    Glossy screen can be a real pain but you get used to that. i7 for this kind of work is just money wasted. Spend that extra on a spare (even very cheap) monitor so you can drag all your toolbars to and you will be in heaven.

On top of that I personally hate the 2500 resolution on the 27". Two monitors are much much better in my opinion.