Again Choices????

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jordygreen, Apr 26, 2007.

1. jordygreen macrumors 6502

jordygreen

Well i have always been contemplating between desktop and laptop. And they originally started at thinking MacBook Pro vs. 24" iMac but now I have been thinking a 20" iMac vs. MacBook (white) top of the range )

I will roughly have about £1000 to spend so as you can see why i chose the 20" iMac, I mean i really like the whole idea of having a 1680x1050 res and an all in one looking computer on my desk, but recently with my laptop i have been enjoying a little bit the freedom of having the mobility of it. I am going into college next year and they have iMac's there so i could just store my files on a usb drive and take them in so i wouldn't necessarily need the portability at least not until uni anyway.

So i would like to have some information and guidance i suppose on the decision, I will be buying in about August time hopefully when the new revisions have come out by then if they are.

I will be using the computer which ever one it to be for graphic design: photoshop, ilustrator and maybe some inDesign, also will use it for slight video editing and dvd burning and the usual adium, safari and iTunes and i will use it for photography so i would most likely get into using aperture maybe.

From what i told you what you recommend me in purchasing to last me about 1 - 2 years until uni???

Thanks for any help,
    Jordy.

2. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

You mainly need to look at if you want portability, which I'm not really able to tell from your description of what you want. More than likely, those programs will run a little better on an iMac, and you'll definately have more space on the screen to work with on an iMac. However, its pretty damn hard to lug an iMac with you to class ;-)

3. jordygreen thread starter macrumors 6502

jordygreen

haha ye i agree with all your points i dunno just something about the macbook appeals me. Like i said do they have iMacs at college already so using a computer there wouldnt be a problem because they have them there its just for like going on plane journeys and long car journeys i could get a bit bored, You think i should just wait until they release new spec for them both and then choose?

4. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

If you've weighed all the pros and cons logically and you are not happy with the result, then you have not assigned the weights correctly. You want a laptop, and that desire outweighs any advantages of a desktop. Wait until 2 months before school starts, see what is available, then make your decision. Whatever your choice, have no regrets. Both are fine machines.