Again - FCPX or Premiere Pro

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Honbe, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Honbe macrumors regular

Hi,

I can get the Premiere and After Effects for $399 as an upgrade to Design Premium CS5.5. I can also purchase FCPX and Motion + Compressor for similar total.
    I am kind of prosumer in editing, doing mostly marketing stuff. For most of my other work I use Adobe products (CS5.5, Lightroom, ...). Considering all the facts, would you recommend me to start with Premiere or FCPX?

Thank you

2. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Premiere as you are already familiar with CS5.5

If you are using it with after effects then the workflow is much better.

3. handsome pete macrumors 68000

4. Honbe thread starter macrumors regular

I went with Adobe. AE was major decision factor, but also the Premiere is more familiar to me (worked with it couple of years ago) and it will better cooperate with other CS5.5 apps.
    So that Adobe for me, just waiting for download to be finished.

Thanks guys.

5. Kevin Monahan macrumors regular

I think you made the right decision! ;)

6. drewyboy macrumors 65816

In all honesty best if luck. I hate premiere pro. Always crashing. I've worked with cs4 and cs5. All the computers I've used are more than capable, 6k+ rigs. Only thing I like is after effects. That's just me and my experience. I hope yours is better. I can't wait to give fcpx a spin and see what it can do.

7. baddseed macrumors newbie

I also went for Premiere. I am a FCP 5, 6 and 7 certified pro and use FCP professionally. I couldn't wait for FPCX to come out and gave it an honest try, but I really hated it. I have been using After Effects for years so Premiere was like an familiar friend. Plus bundle with Flash, Photoshop and After Effects was just too good of a deal to pass up.

8. Honbe thread starter macrumors regular

I am trying to push the Premiere really hard couple of last days. So far - no crashes, no problems. I have to say I really like it.
    The integration with AE and the rest of CS5.5 is superb.
    I am happy with my decision so far.

9. mBox macrumors 68020

Were all lucky that these apps are offered at low prices :)
    I would have suggested FCPX but only if your very new and have no ties with other workflows.
    I use Avid MC at work but teach FCPX on the side at local college.
    Mostly to hobbyists and freelancers.
    I love a challenge and this app really does things differently and I say that in a positive way so please lets not start a war on this :)
    I also teach After Effects and Premiere (Maya too) and this year will be a blast cause 5.5 has round-tripping is much smoother :)

10. dtechlogic macrumors regular

Mr mBox which college do you teach at. I am been wanting to take some FCpro classes and also Adobe premiere clasess. I been using adobe premiere and never had problem with it.

11. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

It's obviously too late as you got Premiere already, but I tried fcpx over the weekend for a short video that was intended for web delivery.
    I had fcpx on my Mac since it was released, but never sat down with it properly.
    It is super fast, and has a lot of great features. It really changed my view on the program. No XML support is a big draw back if course. Means it not suitable (yet) for many jobs.

I really would encourage people to have a second (or first) look at fcpx

It's very far from iMovie, that I can say

12. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

It would be interesting to know how After Effects integrates with FCP X.

And if AE is so much better than Apple's motion.

13. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Not at all. You have to export your clips as .mov then import it to FCP X

Two completely different animals. For what I'm doing, Motion is more than enough. Would love to have that Roto Brush in Motion though.
    Motion is cool for creating Openers, Transitions and Credits, some limited fake 3D stages, and graphics elements. AE can do more, but is (for me) a pain to learn. Motion GUI is much more intuitive.

14. mBox macrumors 68020

Yep FCPX and AE integration is no different than Avid MC/Premiere Pro/FCP 7.
    After Effects and Motion are similar at a basic level.
    However AE goes light years ahead when it comes to Compositing everything from 3D, Video, Graphics and Vectors.
    Just the strength of the masking alone is above any other same level Motion Design software.
    I like Motion cause its quick and dirty.
    Now that its integrated nicely with FCPX, most novice and freelance that dont do heavy compositing can live with it for a long time.

----------

I teach a night class in Mid Western Canada. Sorry best that I keep it that way :)

15. mBox macrumors 68020

I for one have never used iMovie. What I dont get is, why does it matter?
    Did iMovie have magnetic timeline and compound clips?
    God, I started with Premiere 2.0 and NO not Premiere Pro 2.0 :)
    Then Media 100 then FCP then Avid.
    I for one love this new way of doing things.
    Does it make me impudent or get cancer?
    NO! but man the whole world seems to think that it can make your <insert whatev here> smaller :p

16. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

You have me beat, there. I started with A/B S-VHS decks, then Premiere 4.2 and Media100 for a few years, then Avid, and finally back to Premiere. Right now, I have CS5 and the FCP X trio. I use about 50% After Effects, 30% Premiere, and the other 20% goes to Illustrator, Photoshop, Soundbooth and Encore.

I can't get the hang of FCP X. The first time I imported tape from my XH-A1, it was fine, but now it won't import it anymore. It SAYS it successfully did, but there is no new footage on my system. Then, I get all messed up with the magnetic timeline. I'm editing a feature-length film and a bunch of corporate videos for now, and I have a great workflow with the timeline using the video/audio tracks in a more traditional way. When I try to use FCP X for five-camera video and six audio tracks, I just end up frustrated. I don't understand how people find it more intuitive than prior NLE systems, but maybe it's because I never tried drugs, or something. :)

I gave up for now, but I have a friend that is dedicated to learning FCP X by refusing to use any other program. I figure I'll get some lessons from her when I'm not slammed with my paying jobs right now. I know CS5 very well, and it does everything I need beautifully, so learning FCP X will be a luxury for me. I want to "get it" with FCP X, but it looks like I'm really going to have to work at it.

17. mBox macrumors 68020

Haha well maybe not beat just had the options at the time. Id trade all that in for a solid 17 years (yes its been that long for me) on any one of them but I like trying different things :)

Funny Ive never heard it it being that much intuitive than the older NLE. However for a beginner and I mean one that has no clue what an NLE is, I believe it would be a piece of cake to learn. I have to believe that since I am about to start teaching it part-time at a local college :)

Again no one is forcing seasoned veterans to learn this app. I only chime in when new comers are needing support on what they should learn.
    Since Ive been teaching both Adobe and Apple product (as well as Maya) in a basic level for almost 10 years, I like to make everyone feel that they should be more open to try things.
    Ive given up on converting peers and others who just plain dont like change.
    I was there when Softimage changed to XSI as well as PowerAnimator to Maya. Now of course those are deeper sets of 3D tools unlike a NLE such as Avid MC. PPro and FCP.
    I say enjoy the ride, it does get bumpy but it also goes smooth at times...until you crash of course ;)

18. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

It's a problem that there is no trial version for FCP X.

If you buy it and don't like it - you just lost $400.

Apple should allow for a trial download that expires after 30 days. This would also propagate their new creation better as there's no entry fee for just taking a look.