Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jj1985

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
Hi, me again with another problem with the iMac G4 700 Mhz (the computer is not playing up, i am causing the problems ).

Have now sorted the computers booting up problem, but i now have a RAM problem.

I wanted to increase the RAM to 1GB

I have already upgraded it with a 512 SO-DIMM to go in the main expansion slot, but i bought another, matching the other (a SO-DIMM PC133 144 pin) to go in the other memory port, which i found out goes inside the computer which you can get to by removing the 4 Torx screws.

Anyway, i did this, got inside the computer, found the existing 128mbs of memory, and to my horror, found that this was not the same as the one in the expansion slot. Its about twice the size!:eek: :eek:

Anyway, try as i might, i cannot find out what type of memory this is, so cannot replace it. Has anybody else come accross this? :confused:

yenko

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2005
SouthWest-USA
jj1985 said:
Anyway, i did this, got inside the computer, found the existing 128mbs of memory, and to my horror, found that this was not the same as the one in the expansion slot. Its about twice the size!:eek: :eek:

Anyway, try as i might, i cannot find out what type of memory this is, so cannot replace it. Has anybody else come accross this? :confused:
I don't think you should be messing with that factory installed RAM. :rolleyes:

There are two RAM slots in the iMac (Flat Panel) computers. They are:

A user-accessible 144-pin SO-DIMM slot.
An internal (factory-installed) 168-pin DIMM slot

The Apple System Profiler will show the two different types of slots and what amount of RAM is installed there.
The user-accessible slot requires PC133 speed RAM. PC100 RAM is not to be used with iMac (Flat Panel) computers and may create performance and reliability issues.

Always follow the upgrade instructions for Memory and AirPort card installation as written. Never attempt to remove screws that are not listed in the upgrade instructions.

Warning: While you may add or change memory in the SO-DIMM slot, do not attempt to access the factory-only memory slot. Special seals and tooling are required to access and reseal the computer successfully. If the computer is incorrectly resealed, damage to the computer will result and this damage would not be covered under warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.