Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarlboroLite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
the 13 colonies
This is pretty frustrating as I do everything humanly possibly to exclude all the obvious things from time machine (downloads, cache, iOS apps) as well as the notorious problem areas (virtual machine).

About 3 weeks ago I upgraded to a new 500GB hard drive, transferred everything from Time Machine and everything took place OK. Today I go ahead to do a backup and after preparing the 500,000 files it told me that it was about to do a 33GB backup! THIRTY THREE GIGS!!!! How is this possible? The excluded folders are still there--obviously I have not changed around 33GB worth of stuff on my computer in 3 weeks. I have BackupLoup to check what gets changed but I am not about to eat up 33GB on the external hard drive just so I can figure out what the hell it is that Time Machine wanted to back up when I can't erase that backup!

Can anyone think of any reason why this would be happening?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Torrents.

Also VMware and similar products. It pays to exclude anything with large, frequently-changing files. Some torrent clients allow you to move completed downloads into a different folder, so you can back up completed files without having to back up the partially-downloaded ones.

MarlboroLite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
the 13 colonies
Also VMware and similar products. It pays to exclude anything with large, frequently-changing files. Some torrent clients allow you to move completed downloads into a different folder, so you can back up completed files without having to back up the partially-downloaded ones.

As I said, I already exclude VWWare. Concerning the torrents, I'm not sure what you mean...when I download a torrent, both the .torrent file and the actual file are put in the Downloads folder, which I already exclude. So unless I need to exclude the actual torrent client I'm not sure I understand.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Are your VMware virtual machines still installed in the EXACT same location path that you exclude for Time Machine? Sounds very much like a windows VM is not being excluded. Might be worth deleting it from your TM excludes and re-entering it.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
As I said, I already exclude VWWare.

Oops, so you did :)

Concerning the torrents, I'm not sure what you mean...when I download a torrent, both the .torrent file and the actual file are put in the Downloads folder, which I already exclude. So unless I need to exclude the actual torrent client I'm not sure I understand.

Sounds like you're already set.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.