Age group specific community discussion?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by yoyo5280, Apr 10, 2009.

1. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Have the normal community discussion forum, but inside have sub-forums for posters of different age groups...

just a suggestion for the mac teens out there...any opinions

age (15)

2. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Nah, that creates segregation and clicks... as wells as making other people feel uncfomfortable posting under a "teen" forum when they are not teens.

Not the best idea, IMO.

3. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I wouldn't mind talking to some people of my age (15).

I think that you can have sub-forums (For just age-related matters *cough* sex advice *cough*), and then have a regular Community Discussion where talks go on like normal.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Cool, I was thinking of test driving a new signature possibility ...

Internet predators were rumored to be roaming the forum, but they looked more like a feral bunnies to me.

If that ever happened, I guess we'd be buried in feral bunnies.

5. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

To a minor degree, it is segregated of sorts. The gaming forums and a couple others are frequented by the teens. But to have just a "Teen" only one, would not keep out those that aren't teens, and as noted, comically, predators are around. An item to take seriously these days. And by the way, 49 here.:rolleyes:

6. RogueVasion macrumors regular

RogueVasion

I mean, I guess that they could block them out via password, but that's too much work.

If you want to have age specific groups, run a separate chat room, where MacRumors members can chill out and talk with people their own age.

But really, everyone here is pretty pristine and I think talking to vast age groups makes it much more interesting.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you write your posts in SMS-like language, you'll probably only get teenagers responding...

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I happen to think MacTeens is a well-run website. Their forums have only a few thousand members so it's a small community, not a huge one like MacRumors. I'm not a teen and not a member there but I don't mind mentioning them for anyone interested in a site with a teen focus. MacTeens has been around for over 10 years, going through a few rebirths in the process. The people running it have changed, but the focus is still on teen Mac users. But don't leave MacRumors, teens; we need you here too! :)

9. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

The 80yo+ forum would be worth gatecrashing. We could learn firsthand what it was like to live with rationing.