Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2006
CA
I just purchased this game for my son to use on his 3 year old iMAC G4 and thought it would work. I got home and was reading the requirements and see that it might not. Does anyone know if it will or not? His computer is an iMac PowerPC G4 - as purchased - 1GHz, with 512MB RAM and 32MB nvidia (I think this is the problem??????) The game's box says it requires a 64MB Video card, but I didn't know if it might work anyway???

Sorry - I don't know much about video card requirements and gaming- I prob. sound like an idiot.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
Yes, the game is too graphically intensive for that poor iMac. You can try running with the command button down, I believe. Some Aspyr games used that workaround to bypass any system requirement checks.

You should let him play it on one of those machines in your sig. :D

jtam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2006
CA
Yes, the game is too graphically intensive for that poor iMac. You can try running with the command button down, I believe. Some Aspyr games used that workaround to bypass any system requirement checks.

You should let him play it on one of those machines in your sig. :D

LOL. Yes, I'll prob. have to let him use my imac. Just got my MBP, so that's off limits :) Not sure that the Powerbook would handle it. Maybe he can try it.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
it wont work it needs at least a shader model 1.3 graphics card. Thats a Geforce 4 Ti, not the Geforce 2/4 MX in the imac. And even with a proper Geforce 4 prefomance is very poor even on lowest settings you require something like a 9600 or geforce 6200 higher to play without slowdowns and with some sort of playable settings. You are best to give up on Age of empires 3 and play age of empires 2.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
LOL. Yes, I'll prob. have to let him use my imac. Just got my MBP, so that's off limits :) Not sure that the Powerbook would handle it. Maybe he can try it.

Definitely the iMac Core Duo. I played the demo on my MacBook Pro and it runs quite well at 1440 x 900. You can turn up a couple of settings, but not too many and still keep the frame rate steady.

mattscott306

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2007
Definitely the iMac Core Duo. I played the demo on my MacBook Pro and it runs quite well at 1440 x 900. You can turn up a couple of settings, but not too many and still keep the frame rate steady.

You played the demo in bootcamp? or is there a Mac demo version I didn't know about?

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
...And it's just been announced that the expansion (The Warchiefs) is being ported to the Mac too.

--Eric

cazlar

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I just wanted to add I tried the demo on my revB 12" PB (FX5200Go I believe), and although it complained about the CPU (1000<1150) and GPU memory (32<64), you can override both of these by holding "p" and "v" down at startup (I guessed the last one!). Once I turned down the video options, the game seemed to run pretty fine.

So if you aren't sure about running it on an older mac, definitely give the demo a try.

As for the game, it seems to involve a bit too much micromanagement for my tastes. Or maybe I'm just bad at it!

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
...And it's just been announced that the expansion (The Warchiefs) is being ported to the Mac too.

--Eric
I've just noticed 2 new games in the Apple store too.
Has gaming on Macs possibly picked up a little even with Bootcamp available?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.