Age of Mythologies and Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Slinkington, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Slinkington macrumors member

Slinkington

Hey there,

I upgraded to Lion recently and was sad to say goodbye to The Sims Complete Collection (I prefer it over The Sims 3!) but I'm still after a retro gaming fix! I know that Age of Empires I & II are not compatible with Lion, as far as I'm aware Age of Empires III is though. AoE3 is a bit too modern for my tastes ;) so I was just wondering if anyone could confirm if Age of Mythologies works on Lion?

Thanks for your time! :)

2. Mr.C macrumors 601

I think it's highly unlikely unless you run the Windows version virtually or under Bootcamp. The game was released about nine years ago way before Intel based Macs were introduced. It's going to be a Power PC based game that will probably require Snow Leopard or an older OS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Mythology

3. doh123 macrumors 65816

you can use the Windows version and port it to OSX using Wineskin! Runs fine in Lion that way... though it might be a bit more tricky than plug'n'play, but not very hard. You could also do it super simple and just run it through Crossover Games as well.

4. Cougarcat macrumors 604

There's a Universal patch for AoM (version 2.0.1). I don't have the Mac version though, so I couldn't tell you if it works in Lion.

5. Slinkington thread starter macrumors member

Slinkington

Thanks for the replies, guys! I'll try crossover games, that seems like it should be ok. lol unfortunately I can't find the PC version anywhere! Just the Mac at £40 ouch! I'll probably play some Serious Sam 2, if it works. Thanks! :)

6. Mr.C macrumors 601

Have you tried EBay ?

7. Slinkington thread starter macrumors member

Slinkington

Yeah, I checked eBay (UK) but there were no listings. :( Thanks for the suggestions though. Unfortunately, I just tried playing Serious Sam II and Mirror's Edge using Crossover Games and neither of them worked - Serious Sam II is confirmed to work, but for me it only let me access the uninstaller, not the game after I installed it. Strange. I've decided to give up on it for now - I'll just have to get my hands on Windows 7 and play games through that! lol :)