age old Q...MBA or MBP for work..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thasan, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thasan macrumors 6502a

hi guys,
    i got my ipad in april and decided its time to jump from windows to mac...not keen on the software at this point :( more because of the HW apple offers.
    i have decided to buy my work computer...MBA or MBP (both maxed out with processor and ssd, my budget it 1500 pounds, will buy from u.s.). but im confused. pls help clearing my thoughs:

my typical work:
    I currently use a 64 bit windows 7 in a three yr old m1330 dell machine (1.8 gig, 4 gig ram), 1 external monitor, lots of explorer windows opened at the same time, outlook, office softwares including word and visio, chrome (multiple tabs+windows), citation software, multiple windows of plotting software, solidworks, latex, a few messengers etc etc etc. things run just fine and fast (!!!)

if i move to mac, i will definitely need parallels (the yikes part of moving to mac). Q is, will parallel run properly in MBA when I will need to run all the abovementioned stuffs? 4 gig seems way too small when you count parallel in. I am not very keen at the heavy MBP because the screen is not that high res and its heavy and putting a dvd drive is just useless to me (the last time i used mine was like 2 yrs ago!). i really love the MBA but will it be enough to meet my need? i want as snappy operation as i get with my dell (believe me, its darn fast if u keep all the junks away from ur pc!).

a simple solution is to buy a pc desktop and a 11 inch mba. but i want to keep my work in the same pc and carry it around when needed.

many thanks for your input :)

2. PS65 macrumors 6502

There are a load of threads on this, already?

I suggest a MBA.

3. thasan thread starter macrumors 6502a

many thanks PS65. yea ive gone through many threads here on this but i am still not sure whether it can handle parallels with graphics intensive apps :( thats why the question.

4. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

always great to see a new question arise.

Pro.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Given that there are numerous threads about this very topic.

Also your best bet is to research which Mac best fits your needs (expandability of the MBP vs. size/weight of the MBA)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.