Age-OLD Question - why DOES it take so long to backup and sync?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Slip Jigs, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Slip Jigs, Oct 15, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011

Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

Nothing has changed all that much on either my phone or computer. A few app updates. After an hour, I'm finally up to Step 5 of 5.

This is not a new issue, of that I'm aware. But WHY? What actually is IN the backup file anyway - basically a compressed disc image if you will of my phone? And the syncing for Pete's sake - how much processing time does it really need to see that I've only updated a few apps on the phone and nothing else?

Is it because it's been two months since the last one? Would it help if I did it every other day?

Sorry, I guess I'm just pissy - with all this innovation and all the advancements, there are still so many things that just plain don't work worth a crap. And that extends to all computers and platforms, programs, blah blah. Don't you think it's about time these things were behind us?

Edit: OK It's finally done, now I'm downloading 5.0. Anyone wanna bet that it will want to go through the whole thing all over again?

2. foxdougan macrumors newbie

When I first installed iOS 5 there were a whole load of other updates to download, then syncing my photos to iCloud, then the photos were downloading to my other iDevices while I was trying to actually use my Internet for browsing at the same time. So when first using iCloud, everything was crawling at a snail's pace.

Still, syncing in general is slow, so I set it to wifi sync before I go to bed, that way in the morning it is all done!

3. Slip Jigs thread starter macrumors 6502a

And now it will sync over WIFI if it's plugged in, correct? That's cool.

My update kept hanging on Backup, so I had to Restore, then Restore the first backup I just done did. Almost done, maybe I'll finally get to play with iOS 5

4. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

TWO MONTHS!! Holy cow!..Ya think?! ... wow,.. yeah..
    I do a sync at least twice a week and it zips right through.

5. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I'm assuming you're running iTunes on Windows. Backs up pretty quickly for me on Lion.

7. urkel macrumors 68030

Its still pretty slow on Lion, and the WiFi sync is even slower but I wont complain because at least now we are allowed to use our phones while it syncs.

What I really dont understand is why there's no podcast subscriptions built into iOS because thats pretty much the only reason I still need to sync to a computer.

8. Slip Jigs thread starter macrumors 6502a

But what difference shold that make if very little has changed? Is it the text messages and emails? I dont see why emails would need to be a part of the backup file, but maybe they are.