age restrictions for icloud account?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Randomizer, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Randomizer macrumors member

Randomizer

Recently I purchased a new iPad 3. My old iPad (original) became more of a house / kitchen iPad, mostly used by my kids. I set up their e-mail addresses and put a bunch of apps on it that they would use. Because my icloud account was setup on it, the messages I send and receive are showing up on that iPad. I would rather that not happen and instead provide my kids with the ability to message us on their own using that iPad. When I went to set them up with their own iCloud I was informed that it is not permitted due to age. I realize I could make up a birthdate but I would rather not do that. Any idea why this limitation exists and how to work around it?

2. Randomizer thread starter macrumors member

Randomizer

I can't be the only person that has tried this - can I? I would simply like my kids to be able to message me.

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You might want to look into the parental controls on the iPad.

4. Randomizer thread starter macrumors member

Randomizer

I will do that. But I'm thinking I would still need to set up a separate account - right? I would like to be able to be able to message back and forth and not have messages to me showing up on that iPad - which is what is happening now. But I do want messages to her showing up there.

5. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

I would try setting them up with a brand new iCloud account and have them share your apple id for apps under settings>iTunes/App Store (if you want them to have access, of course).

Also, don't forget that under Settings>iMessage there are ways to associate their email address with iMessage (this will keep you separate from them when using iMessage.. Also, this is probably what you were looking for).

6. Randomizer thread starter macrumors member

Randomizer

Yes - this is. Thank you. Maybe I am doing it incorrectly but I my attempts to set them up with a new iCloud account are being stopped based on their birthdate. Seems Apple does not want kids to have an iCloud account. Could that be correct?

7. Randomizer thread starter macrumors member

Randomizer

just tried again to create an apple id in the icloud section, which I believe is simply getting an @me address for use in icloud. Once I entered my daughter's birthdate and hit 'next' I was rejected with:

Cannot Create Account
    You are currently not eligible to create an account.

I can only assume it is the age that is creating this issue.

8. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

Yes you're probably right. If you're okay with them having an icloud account, keep their birthday the same, just bump the year to make them 18. I'm sure it can be changed later on anyways... Hope this helps!

9. Randomizer thread starter macrumors member

Randomizer

Thanks. I thought about changing the age. Seems odd I would have to. Is this how most folks handle setting their kids up to be able to text using messaging?

10. pdjudd macrumors 601

Lots of websites restrict account creation (especially where billing is offered) by age as well. I have seen 13 in some sites, and older on others. Usually they don't want to deal with the potential legal problems with minors.

11. mackid1993 macrumors member

Nearly every modern service has some sort of unverified age restriction for legal reasons, plausible deniability, just like the previous poster said. Simply put in something ridiculous like 1/1/1920... Apple isn't going to bother you.