Agent 18 clear shock band is junk

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by glen e, Aug 10, 2010.

1. glen e macrumors 68030

another case that is misrepresented on the website. It's a translucent piece of hard silicone no better than cheap ebay stuff. No buttons and does not allow visibility of alum part of phone underneath.

Pass...

2. eurotechnik macrumors newbie

3. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Do you own the case? use it? I assume you've just seen pictures, in that case, ummmm, yeah makes no sense bro!

4. icecrystal23 macrumors 6502

That thread is about a different case entirely.

5. eurotechnik macrumors newbie

doh, i missed the word 'band', my fault. :eek:

but do agree what iphone1105 said.

6. glen e thread starter macrumors 68030

Of course I own it...
    Pics later

7. prezasti macrumors 6502

prezasti

Do you mean ShockBand?

8. glen e thread starter macrumors 68030

Yes, not clear at all...

[​IMG]

9. parrot5 macrumors 6502

10. robotphood macrumors 6502a

Not sure how it's that misrepresented. The pictures show that's it's clearly frosted and there are no buttons. How does it fit?

11. glen e thread starter macrumors 68030

fit is very tight - ok

but my point =they call it "clear" - not "frosted"

12. prezasti macrumors 6502

prezasti

Do you have any pictures of it on your phone? Also, Agent18 claims to have a 30 day no questions asked refund.

"I ordered this and I'm working on canceling it if it sucks as much as your saying it does, but Pictures will help me make a final decision. Thanks!"

13. robotphood macrumors 6502a

I know what you're saying. The description does say "go virtually undetected with the clear." But the pictures definitely show otherwise.

14. glen e thread starter macrumors 68030

looks like a cheap ebay knock off silicone band on:

[​IMG]

15. prezasti macrumors 6502

prezasti

Thanks for the pic.

It doesn't look all that bad from the picture, but feel is everything for me, does it feel like crap?

Honestly, I was hoping it would be a bit more soft silicon based, rather than hard plastic! I made my judgement of the materials used by the pics on the website and the "features" tab that states "manufactured from flexible, yet durable material" :rolleyes:

16. glen e thread starter macrumors 68030

it feels like Matte silicone.....if it was not so cheap looking I'd use it for a couple days. I fear it'll get dirty quickly as the surface is not smooth. But this is very subjective, your mileage may vary. I now own 7 cases - I have yet to find a clear bumper type that looks equal quality to the white Apple bumper+ SGP films/skins. But I really want a clear bumper.

Red vapor on the way.....

17. prezasti macrumors 6502

prezasti

Thanks for your review!

18. glen e thread starter macrumors 68030

here's how I see my others in order:

apple bumpers - white and black w/ SGP CF back - still the winner - classy
    ivyskin reception (nice hard clear sides but back shows prints bad)
    scosche (just cheap)
    marware (see thru looks cheap)
    belkin Vue (cut it up and made it a clear bumper)
    boxwave - (just trash but free)
    some ebay trash

red vapor and incase snap clear from apple on the way
    agent 18
    [​IMG]
    boxwave
    [​IMG]
    marware
    [​IMG]
    scosche
    [​IMG]
    ivyskin
    [​IMG]

19. whofeelsitknows macrumors newbie

Thanks for your review.

You said you're using SGP front and back protectors. Is the shockband compatible with them, or is there bubbling along the edges?

Thanks!

20. whofeelsitknows macrumors newbie

Okay, I'll answer my own question -- not sure. I put the shockband on, and I'm getting some bubbling on the right edge. I'll try taking the screen protector off and putting it back on with the shockband already on to see if maybe I can line it up better. It's definitely a tight fit though.

I actually like the shockband. It's exactly what I thought it'd be. It is frosted, but that's what it looked like on the website. And you can see the metal sides, just not as clearly (duh!) as if it was a fully clear case.

I do have a couple of complaints, though -- and I've emailed Agent18 to ask them to send me a replacement because of it. First, the cutouts on the right side (for the volume buttons and the volume on/off) do not line up. The cutouts everywhere else do line up, so it seems the case just wasn't cut properly or something. And second, on the back top left corner, the part that overlaps (slightly) onto the back of the phone is just not there, like it was cut off or something.

21. prezasti macrumors 6502

prezasti

How does the phone feel to you with it on? Does it seem like it could offer any protection?

22. glen e thread starter macrumors 68030

I might add the ivyskin is totally clear - pretty nice if you can get used to the fingerprints on the back...it's really the most invisible case I own.

23. whofeelsitknows macrumors newbie

I like the feel, but it doesn't offer a ton of protection. Seems like it'll protect the sides -- and I guess the front if it's on a flat surface.

24. prezasti macrumors 6502

prezasti

I received my ShockBand today and I have to admit, I like it a lot. I was also able to email customer service and have my shipping reimbursed, so I only had to pay for the Bumper.

I was expecting it to feel like very hard plastic, as suggested by the posts above, but it is actually a softer plastic and a little bit stretchy/flexible.

I've been looking for something that would protect the phone just a little more than if it were naked. I also wanted a case/bumper that wouldn't take away from the looks of the phone and keep it looking slim as it should. This case does both.

It isn't completely clear, but you can still see the metal frame thru the bumper just fine.

I'll try to post pics as I get time to take them.

25. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

Okay - that's the "before" pic. Now take a picture with the shock band on the phone.