Agent18 Case owners...BEWARE!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by msmith2112, Oct 21, 2007.

1. msmith2112 macrumors 6502

msmith2112

I've had my Agent18 case for several weeks and for the most part have been happy with it. I decided to take it off and clean my iPhone thoroughly and found that it has scratched my iPhone!

It scratched the flat edge of the bezel on the bottom near the Home button. I found out that the inside of the case on the lip that covers the chrome has some rough edges, and everytime I took the case on and off, it was scratching my iPhone!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Phew, good thing I decided not to bother with a case for my iPhone at all, or this might really have been an issue for me :p

I actually have Agent18 cases for a couple of my iPods, and have been quite happy with them. They may not maintain perfection, but they certainly prevent the vast majority of scrapes and scratches, at least in my experience.

3. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Not surprised that this case also scratches the chrome bezel on the phone. I don't think you can get around it with any case that wraps around the bezel.

4. T4R06 macrumors 65816

mine doesnt have any scratch of the buttom because it has BSE on it. the top and the buttom.

BSE comes with chrome shield both top and buttom

i have to removed though the back plastic because it doesnt fit on eco shield. too much sticky

5. Macsterling macrumors regular

Macsterling

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

For people to think that ur phone won't get scratches u need to get with it. The glass is scratch resistant and that should be the only thing that matters. Over time ur phone will get scratches. That is just the way it is. Its just a phone.

6. calvy macrumors 65816

to the OP.

This is why most of us who own these types of cases remove it frequently and clean the gunk out. Also, even by doing this, that shiny metal ring around the iphone is going to get scuffed up. Just take some polish to it and it looks fine. I like a product called NevrDull by EagleOne, in the car care section.

And just to note, my iPhone bezel was scratched to heck before I bought my agent18 case. I was just glad this thing covered it for the most part so I could no longer see it. It's impossible (at least for me) to keep that shiny piece of metal scratch free.

In your case, I think I'd try to wear that rough edge down on the case, then use the nevrdull to repolish the chrome, and try it all again.

7. DavoMrMac macrumors 6502

DavoMrMac

It is very easy to get a tiny piece of grit in between these cases and your device. So sorry to see that scratch.

8. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

Most cases I have seen have actually caused more harm than good.
    Naked is the only way, in a soft pocket and when in the car a secure holder/adapter.
    It was not meant to have any protection other than common sense.

9. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Search for the scotch-brite fix for bezel scratches. It looks great!

10. Adobo macrumors member

I've got the Agent 18 too. Bezel was scratched up to hell before I had it and I'm picking up a few here and there with the new case.

Small price to pay though. I think this is the best case around. I'd rather have a scratched up bezel than a big gash on the back casing from a drop.

11. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

I've had my iPhone in and out of my pocket for almost 4 months now. It's definitely got some minor scratches on the bezel and the back, but nothing major. And the screen and buttons all look brand new. By comparison to my old Nokias and Siemens phones, with their plastic screen that got all scraped up, I'm quite impressed.

It may just be a phone, but unlike the shiny-backed iPods that cry for a case, I'm very happy with my decision to be unencumbered and case-free for my iPhone. So I, at least, am with you on this. :)

12. Adobo macrumors member

I'd rather have my iPhone go commando as well, but I've seen what can happen to an iPhone during a drunken night combined with fumbling hands. It's not pretty. It wasn't just scratches and dents. Some functions just weren't right. I was caseless before I saw my friend do this.

13. msmith2112 thread starter macrumors 6502

msmith2112

Well, since i found the scratches...i've been caseless. And LOVE IT.

The iPhone just feels so much better in your hands without a case, plus it looks better. Also since i've had it "naked", I haven't added any more scratches to it. I should've gone this way from the beginning...

14. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

I am pretty sure that most of the cases out there scratch this area. My first case was the Signature Leather Case from Case-Mate and it scratched my phone in the same spot. I still think the Agent18 is one of the best cases on the market.