Agile Bits' 1Password support

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by talino, Aug 16, 2011.

1. talino macrumors member

Hi,

I hope this post isn't out of place.

Just thought I'd mention that after replying to a thread on the Agile Bits support forum — qualifying recent updates to the previously venerable application (which I've paid more than $35 for) as a "shouldn't have been published" mess due to Safari 5.1 issues — the entire thread was deleted.

I then posted a new thread, explaining briefly and rather politely that I didn't believe criticism should be treated by erasing support threads.

My forum account has consequently been deleted by the Agile Bits "Forum Choreographer". I do not intend to create a new one.

Best of luck to everyone.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Sounds like an issue better brought up with Agile.

3. talino thread starter macrumors member

I thought so, too. Apparently they didn't agree.

Also, their website states that "due to the recent Apple product releases, [...] email support has been temporarily suspended". And I don't feel like flying to Toronto.

4. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

Yes, for about three weeks it was not pretty. Some of that was the changed APIs in Apple’s Lion, Part was the redesign of Safari 5.1, part was due to redesign to accommodate the changes. I was not a happy camper, since I was in the midst of moving in a rental truck country during that last three weeks. Finally things have settled down, and it appears many of the problems have been resolved. It was not pleasant, but I am glad to have stuck it out.

5. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Agile's not going to be as fast with updates nor have the quality that they used to deliver apps with.

I'm still a 1Password fan but the recent Safari 5.1 mess is exactly what I saw coming when Agile started branching out. Now they've got development going on Android phones and 1Password for Windows.

Few developers can target so many platforms and deliver the kind of timely updates and quality software that a company devoted to a single platform can offer.

They still do a damn good job but in the future I'll wait a bit longer before upgrading Browser or OS because I don't think this will be the first and last time we see more buggy stuff come from them.

6. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Is there an alternative with cross-browser support?

I'm having all kinds of problems with the Firefox version.

7. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I don't have any experience with it but lots of people seem to like LastPass.

8. saberahul macrumors 68040

I never liked Agile CS. They are worse than Best Buy for me. Had a problem once and got an attitude no one deserves. I'm never buying from them again.

In regards to LastPass, I liked it a lot. (Ya thats past tense). Since they got hacked I have lost all my trust in their security so I don't use it anymore... my preference.

9. dyn, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011

dyn macrumors 68030

From what I see Agile is only to blame for the lousy Safari/Firefox updates. They should have handled it better and made a clear statement that they were working on things, then release a beta version stressing that this is beta. They are now trying to catch up and doing it quite well. However it is YOU that upgraded, not Agile, not me, not MacRumors, not Steve Jobs, not Emily from school, etc. YOU did. You could have opted NOT to upgrade and wait for an official statement that things will work. You could then have waited some more for experiences from others. Why on earth didn't you do something that one would define as "sensible"? Why whine if you want to be an early adaptor and thus run into problems?

FYI: I upgraded to Fx6 beta when they released the first build of the new extension (and boy was it crappy, the only thing it actually did was lock and unlock, second version was usable) but I at least know what I'm doing and what the risks are.

If you want an alternative that is not a website than Keepass comes to mind. The other ones are websites meaning that you'll store your stuff at somebody else's place completely relying on their big blue eyes. The difference between that and not using any kind of security is none. But best thing to do for now is stick with Fx5 and the old 1Password extension.

Edit: apparently AgileBits released a new Fx6 extension and 1Password 3.8. With both installed things seem to be ok in Fx6 again. You may need to remove the current extension and then reinstall the new one.

10. jennyp macrumors 6502

I can understand your frustration. I think a lot of it is because it used to work so well, that we got used to it. Not so any more. The recent 1Password "updates" have been a trainwreck and Agile seem to be in denial. Erasing embarrassing support questions is uncool. Wish I knew of an alternative.

11. Guzzie macrumors newbie

I have found that the new Firefox 6 plugin is pretty buggy too. Seems like it isn't working on many sites it had been in the past. It's got more eye candy but the functionality seems lacking.