Agonizing decision. Will there be enough 4's on the 24th? e 24tg

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sir Green Day, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Sir Green Day macrumors newbie

Here's my dillema.

I have 2 3gs. They are mine and my daughters only phone. I have a 32gb and hers is a 16gb. I have someone today that will pay me $200 for the 16 and $300 for my 32. That will give me what I need to purchase 2 new 4's on the 24th. Btw. I am update eligible.

My worry is that I couldn't pre-order before they shut them down so know I have to go to one of out local AT&T stores and wait in line. I plan on getting there by 3 or 4 am, but I'm worried they won't have enough "general sale" phones and they daughter and will be stuck with no phone.

Should I take the plunge?

2. Darkwater macrumors newbie

Can you afford to not have a smartphone for a while? Do you have access to a cheap dumbphone for calls/texting in the short-term? Could you prioritise your daughter's, and then have yours as the secondary sale so that she is less likely to be disappointed?

Hmm that's a lot of questions. If you answer no to any of them, I'd be hesitant!

3. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

If you plan on going to the store, just make sure you get there early enough, to increase your chances of getting one.

4. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

My advice is to go to an Apple store, not an AT&T store. Do you have one nearby? Apple stores generally get a much, much larger supply of iPhones than AT&T stores do.

5. pwb2103 macrumors member

I agree, if you can go to a major apple store you stand a good chance of still getting one without a preorder (just waiting a loooong time). I didnt get a preorder and have to go to an AT&T store (authorized user) and everyone is telling me that I basically stand no chance of getting a phone no matter how early I get there. So if you can't get to a big Apple store and the rumors from AT&T reps are true (who knows on that one) you might not even have the option.
    Man I hope that AT&T will have some first come first served for people without preorder though

6. juicexct macrumors member

apple store = bigger supply but also = bigger lines

at&t store = smaller supply but also = smaller line

7. puppyflightclub macrumors 6502

smaller than apple but the line will still be big.

8. phoenixdude24 macrumors member

couldn't he easily sell those on ebay for double those prices?

9. puppyflightclub macrumors 6502

i actually was considering buying a non contract phone + my own and selling for higher to recoup for my own loss. possible?

10. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

+1

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

1) The prices offered for your phone are rather unspectacular. You can get that much just selling to Gazelle.com. Surely, you'll still be able to get that kind of $ next Thurs.

2) I would not sell anything until I had my cold sweaty hands on the iP4s, they were activated, and knew they worked.

I am kind of in your situation in that I will be using the proceeds from my 3GS to pay for my 4, but I am waiting until next week to sell. I have a pre-order, but stuff happens. The crate my iPhone is in could fall off the conveyor belt or fork lift or get stalled by customs.

12. bhsu21 macrumors 6502

Why are people telling you that you'll have no chance with ATT? Just cause they won't have any to sell to those w/o a preorder?

I asked at a local ATT store here and the guy told me they will have ones to sell first come first serve.

13. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

I have been to all 3 iphone launches and have gotten a phone each time without a problem. The phone has launched each time leading into a weekend and I know that Apple would not want to have so little stock on hand that they would run out in the first few hours.

So if I were you, get there earlier in the day, and be prepared to wait, but based on the past 3 years, you should be fine.

14. pwb2103 macrumors member

I don't know? I hate how unreliable ATT reps are. Im willling to camp for a ridiculous amount of time... but I'm not so willing if I never actually stood a chance.

15. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

That may be true, but I wouldn't believe it just because an AT&T rep told me. You can call 5 different stores and get 5 different answers in regards to if there will be any for walk-ins.

16. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

Honestly, I wouldn't sell your phones early...you never know what could happen. Also, those prices you mentioned are not very good...as someone already pointed out, you could get those prices from gazelle.com.

17. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

Just wanted to tell you my experience with buying my 3g through At&t. I went about 6am and there was already a long line. I stuck it out though and several people ahead of me left because At&t employees kept coming out and counting the people in line, then they said they would not have enough phones. They showed where the line would cut off by 10 people in front of me.

I and a few others stayed anyway because they kept changing the amount of phones they had. I got one and so did all the people who decided to wait with me. I don't know why they kept changing the number of phones they had. Maybe they couldn't count lol!