Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rickeames

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
I've always had 15" MBP's, but now that the 13" Pro has pretty impressive speed equal to last years 15, the smaller form factor and weight might benefit me. I just don't know if I will regret losing screenspace...and are the right side ports on the 13 still half speed in this version?

Decisions, Decisions....

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
if I will regret losing screenspace
I did, and I've since gone back to a 15" laptop. While the 13" is nice with a quad core processor, depending on your usage. The dGPU is a nice addition and don't forget the 15" is a hex core machine, so its going to be a processing beast. I found the screen too small and my old eyes strained with the 13" YMMV but for me 15" all the way

happygodavid

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2007
Northern Virginia
I just don't know if I will regret losing screenspace...and are the right side ports on the 13 still half speed in this version?
You could just buy the 13 inch, try it out for the duration of their return policy (15 days), and if the smaller screen size isn't to your liking, exchange it. I agonize over decisions like this, and usually if I just MAKE a decision, my gut helps me out after the decision is made. Sometimes, this means making an exchange, but at least I'm more content in the end. Good luck!

sockdoggy

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2002
Brooklyn
Likewise had always used 15” MBPs. I travel a lot though and was wanting to see if I could make life easier with less weight and size.

Last year I bought a decently spec’d 13” (3.1GHz, 16GB, 512GB) and love everything about it. Definitely notice a lack of dedicated graphics and less screen real estate at times but small inconvenience for the insane portability.

Disclaimer; I have a 27” iMac quad-core 4.0GHz at the office for heavy workloads!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.