ah 2012 MBP needs new battery where to BUY??

jeanw

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
ky.
bought this 2012 model 15 inch unit supposedly to be a unibody model... back in 2017 used from website. Now it says normal. prev it said replace. cycle battery condition ...count is 1216. forget where cycle count was when I got it thru mail.
the reason I checked cause it was going off when the ac wasn't plugged in.... even though top of screen showed. between 97% or so or 100%. it presently plugged into charger....
so can I go to BESTbuy and have it replaced there. BB is over 30 miles away... Louisville a lot farther.. for an Apple Store there... I want it replaced while I wait. won't leave it....
Lots of the threads here rec Apple for battery. YOU tube show replacing yourself...thru OWC video...
but most threads here didn't like battery .. any real Apple battery
Thank y'all

Audit13

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I would buy a third party battery from Amazon. I have used ansanor, sloda, and egoway in the air, 13" mid-2012, 15" 2010, and 15" late 2011. These batteries were much cheaper than trying to get something from Apple. I didn't want to spend a lot since these MacBooks are not worth much anymore.

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
Don't be tempted to buy the absolute cheapest battery you find.
There are a lot of poor-quality "replacements" out there.

The trouble is... it's difficult to tell the good ones from the not-so-good ones.

If I needed a battery, I'd try "other world computing".

You'll need the right tools to change it -- go to ifixit.com for the tool list and also a good replacement guide.

MSastre

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2014
Don't be tempted to buy the absolute cheapest battery you find.
There are a lot of poor-quality "replacements" out there.

The trouble is... it's difficult to tell the good ones from the not-so-good ones.

If I needed a battery, I'd try "other world computing".

You'll need the right tools to change it -- go to ifixit.com for the tool list and also a good replacement guide.
The NuPower batteries from OWC come with the tools for replacing the batteries on your MBP. Be sure to follow the instructions for properly calibrating the battery. It's an easy DIY.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
It's very hard to read your post, which is littered with terrible grammar and punctuation, but you know that; it's barely worthy of the effort of replying, but I will anyway.

You didn't specify if it's a retina model or not.

If it's a retina model, go to Apple. If it's not, then just get a NuPower/OWC one from Microcenter because that's the closest you're going to get to an OE Apple battery.