Ah! Decisions decisions!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tocyk, May 27, 2008.

1. tocyk macrumors member

So I am currently in a video production class, and my teacher agreed to give me a copy of Final Cut Pro 2. I am not by any means a Hollywood caliber movie editor, but I like to think I have potential and I am budding. I had the intent of buying a MacBook for many months now, but now I'm worried that the ONE copy of FCP I'll ever get to install on any computer will never be able to reach its full potential if I use a MB. I technically need to get my MacBook before the end of July, and with the new rumors of delayed MB updates, I'm considering getting a MBP... except that it is VERY expensive.

I have read previous threads, and it seems like the consensus is that FCP WILL be able to run on a MB, but Motion will not, and I feel like I'd be losing out if I waste it. Would it maybe make sense to buy a MB and a iMac? I just want to get the best value for my money and $2000 is very steep for a computer.

Any suggestions? This isn't a once in a lifetime opportunity or something, but I'd like to not blow a $1000 dollar program.

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

You know I'd actually suggest buying via the refurb store, you can pick up a MBP for $1650 or if that is too steep buy a refurbed iMac for $950 and keep your eye open for a good deal on a used MacBook.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I agree^^^you may be in the marketplace for a used or refurb MBP. I've used FCP HD 4.5 for several months on my BlackBook 2.4 Penryn and have not had issues, but then again I'm working with YouTube Videos and some home video editing, so nothing of your caliber, but FCP HD 4.5 works just fine for my needs. :cool:

4. Phillyzero macrumors regular

Phillyzero

I'd suggest the macbook and imac. Try to get the student discount (or go buy a refurb). You didn't mention you needed portability to use FCP, so you might as well use some kind of desktop. The only significant difference between a blackbook and a low end MBP is the graphics card (and LCD panel). Imo, real movie editing and such shouldn't be done on a laptop if it can be done on a desktop (but that's just my preference).

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I would agree with this. However, if you going to be mostly mobile, I would go for the MBP.