Ah ha! iPhone Data Usage! Mmm-ha!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Doju, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

So. I read on another topic that a 100MB data plan does not suffice, as you can use that in a matter of days. Dear willy-nilly sap suckers - my question is an obvious one: how?

Rogers in Canada is ridiculous, and only offers one data plan - unlimited for $30/month. It's a damn shame, friends, because I only can use around 90MB of it a month! And I consider myself an avid browser!

I browse an hour or so a day on EDGE (no 3G here) and after a whole month of September (not quite yet) I've hit 89.7MB in the 'usage' part of settings. How in god's name do you all eat up that much data? If I'm paying this damn much, I damn well want to be using a lot of it!

(That or rogers smartens the hell up and offers a 1GB plan for $15/month.)

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I eat data by using AOL Radio, the App Store, E-Mail Push and Fetch, Maps, and Surfing on Safari.

TEG

3. xyion1 macrumors regular

I can get around 1GB/month of usage by streaming Pandora for a couple hours per day, along with surfing.

4. slicecom macrumors 68020

What are you talking about? Rogers has a multitude of data plans, including the option of buying an iPhone with NO data plan, something our neighbours to the south can't do! The 6GB for $30 promotion ends in less than a week, so if you want it, make sure you get it before then! Here are Rogers data plans:

$15 - 2MB
    $25 - 500MB
    $30 - 1GB
    $50 - 2GB
    $60 - 3GB
    $80 - 8GB

5. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

I watch at least 5 or six youtube videos a day and a hell of a lot of radio streaming

6. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

I think the OP's point is that there's no good middle ground between too little data (eg. 2MB - completely pointless) and too much data (ie. 6GB). I'm with him, until Rogers offers a decent data bucket at a decent rate (eg. $15 for 250MB), I'm not paying for data.

7. slicecom macrumors 68020

I agree, that would be nice as I've only used 350MB since launch day, though I don't see it happening considering most other countries don't seem to have that option, and Rogers won't do ANYTHING to make data more affordable unless they absolutely have to (like just before launch when they were getting horrible press for their rates internationally).

8. Doju thread starter macrumors 68000

Exxxxxaccctttlllly.

And I'm on the 6GB plan, for the record.

9. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

no you can't.

10. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Yeah, I agree that 100 MB is a lot more than you think. It's not like you use an iPhone as a Bittorrent client or some other gigabyte-munching purpose.

I opted for unlimited data, but in the last month I've only used about 40 MB... over 3G/EDGE that is. At home and at work it switches to WiFi.

Had there been a tethering option, then yeah, I would hog a lot of bandwidth...

11. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

O'rly?

12. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I take that back I thought you meant you were using 1gig of data in a day.

13. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Since when does Rogers have an unlimited data plan? It's 6 GB a month, and I'd certainly rather pay for the 6 GB than accidentally go over and pay 50x more.

14. MJFlash macrumors member

Hi, Folks!

For what it's worth, the Voyeur application in the App Store (on which I was the first commenter, and so I therefore spent extra time reviewing it carefully before posting), burns through more data than anything else I've seen - out of my now 110+ apps! If you ran it non-stop (definitely while charging!), I'll bet that you'd easily go through more than 100MB in one day. It's quite a cool app, too, so I run it on WiFi.

FYI!
    Mark

15. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

I kill lots of data by Pandora, AOL Radio in the morning for Opie and anthony, im on safari like 3 hours a day, lots of aim, sometimes maps.

16. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

Current usage:

Text/IM Messaging

Used 677 of 1500
    Internet/MEdia Net
    UNLIMITED
    Used 4567.28MB of Unlimited
    Next Bill Cycle
    10/04/2008

17. MJFlash macrumors member

Hi, Gang!

Holy cow! I decided to take a profile of Voyeur by watching bandwidth utilization on my firewall. It turns out that I was way off! When running over a fast WiFi link, it's using over 100 megabytes per hour! It obviously requires a very efficient app to do that much photo resizing on the iPhone so quickly. Impressive, indeed. WiFi (while charging) definitely recommended! ;)

FYI!
    Mark