AH-IPS: The next logical iMac display panel tech

Discussion in 'iMac' started by pgiguere1, Aug 8, 2012.

1. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

The current 27" iMac and Thunderbolt display both use an LG IPS panel: the LM270WQ1 which is also used in Dell's UltraSharp U2711 monitor.

Dell just announced today that they're replacing their UltraSharp U2711 monitor with the UltraSharp U2713HM, which is their first to use an LG AH-IPS panel.

AH-IPS stands for "Advanced High-performance IPS" and should offer significantly better clarity and color accuracy. The Dell UltraSharp U2713HM also offers an impressive dynamic contrast ratio of 2 million:1.

Unless Apple plans a radical shift to IGZO for the next iMac refresh, which I doubt since MacBooks/iPhones/iPads would logically be the first targets in order to benefit from IGZO's high energy efficiency, it looks like this AH-IPS LG panel would be the logical choice for the upcoming 2012 27" iMac and Thunderbolt display.

2. HurtinMinorKey macrumors 6502

I too, am hoping for better color before we see any more pixels.

3. washburn macrumors 6502

What IPS tech do the current iMacs have?

I heard that the 21" has a different IPS than the 27"?

its also a bit noticeable the sharpness is not as good on the 21"

4. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

To get better colour you need to make sure the panel has good conformity across the screen. NEC (in Europe) test there P-IPS panels for this and sell the best ones as Spectraview and the not so good as PA. Whatever panel technology is used its the measuring that will make a difference. About 5-10% make the grade. Also using a good quality calibration device from Xrite or Datacolor will go along way to dealing with your colour issues.

----------

Couldn't agree more. I'm fed up with manufactors chasing the pixel count like it is the be all and end all. It's the same with cameras. People think a 12 mega pixel camera is better than a 10, but it's only one consideration. People get too hung up on pixel counts and think it means they are buying the best.