Ah man... why do they make it so hard.... (moving iTunes library)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jackfrost123, Sep 21, 2008.

1. jackfrost123 macrumors 6502

I just wanted to move my library (i.e. itunes lib with my podcasts being there, no other music within) from my quickly filling up hd to an external one. So I went to preferences and changed the default location of the itunes lib to f:\itunes\. I of course expected itunes to migrate everything there? Why not? Not only didn't it do so, but when I moved the very structure myself, everything in the itunes folder to a self same itunes folder in f: drive no podcasts showed up nothing...GREAT...just GREAT....:mad:

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 16GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

you should have set the location and then used consolidate library option. This would have moved it over for you automatically.

3. jackfrost123 thread starter macrumors 6502

hey phil, thanks for the reply buddy is there anything I can do now?

4. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

When I moved my iTunes library, I just moved everything in the Music/iTunes folder, and opened up the iTunes Library data file. Everything worked fine; all my music was still organised, my podcasts were fine, even my playlists were still in tact. I don't know why it didn't for you.

5. jackfrost123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey Scarlet I dunno..either thanks for sharing your experience. But I didn't open up the itunes data file, maybe this is what I should do, I just moved them back to where they were by default...let's see...

6. jackfrost123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Great I can't even open itunes, I get error 13026, I am on a pc.

7. jackfrost123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Please, please someone MUST know this!

How can I re add my podcasts from one itunes library to another new one!

GUYS IT CAN'T BE THAT NO ONE KNOWS THIS!!! Sorry for the caps....

I 've downloaded the podcasts with itunes, I have them in the folder structure of the old itunes installation. But I also have some podcasts downloaded without itunes. I want to add all that to my library and get the new episodes too!!!

It cant be that it is so hard to figure out!!!:confused:

8. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I would assume that you just drag the files into your library in the iTunes window just like you would with any other media file, you might have to change the info to make it show up in podcasts, but that should be all that you have to do. And don't assume that nobody knows the answer when you haven't even asked the question.

And in the future, use a more constructive thread title.;)

9. jackfrost123 thread starter macrumors 6502

No, unfortunately it doesnt work that way, doesn't recognize them as podcasts, nor adds them there, you would "assume " but it doesn't.

thanks for the reply though

I have asked MANY MANY times.

Hence the title IS constructive if I can get SOMEONE to help out here.

:)

10. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

What happens when you click on them to play within the folder in which you put them? Do they play at all?
    When I click on my podcasts iTunes launches and plays them, but I can choose Quick Time for instance to play anything in the iTunes library.

Also when moving songs between iTunes library folders in the past I've had it happen where I actually had to use the Add To Library command from the File menu to get them to show up in iTunes.

11. jackfrost123 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah I have to add them as any other music but they play at least.

12. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Move entire iTunes folder to external hard disk. Hold down OPTION when holding iTunes. It will ask you to choose a new library. Pick the one on the external hard drive. Done.

13. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

will this work on PCs? i think the OP is using one