Ah..still torn, Help me decide!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adamvk, Jan 8, 2009.

?

What should I do?

  1. Buy a 2.4 MacBook Pro

    31 vote(s)
    60.8%
  2. Buy an iMac 2.8 (2600 PRO)

    4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  3. Wait until January 27

    10 vote(s)
    19.6%
  4. Other (Tell me what)

    6 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. adamvk macrumors 65816

    adamvk

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2008
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #1
    I still cant figure out what to do. Yesterday I was determined I would buy a 2.4GHZ Unibody Macbook Pro. Now I'm thinking that an iMac would be sweet. I'm not sure if I wanna wait until January 27 though because I already waited for MacWorld which was a failure. So What do you think I should buy?

    The primary use is 3D/2D CAD, and gaming. Should I get the 2.4GHZ Unibody MacBook Pro, iMac 2.8GHZ (2600 PRO), or wait until January 27?
     
  2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #2
    Question: Do you need to take your computer with you when you go places?

    Answer: Yes: Get the laptop.
    Answer: No: Get the iMac and a CPU upgrade with the money saved not buying a laptop.
     
  3. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

    adamvk

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2008
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #3
    The thing with the iMac is that I'm sick of waiting and if I buy it, and a month later the new one comes out, I may be mad.
     
  4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

    kastenbrust

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2008
    Location:
    North Korea
    #4
    6 months
     
  5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #5
    That can't even happen.
     
  6. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

    adamvk

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2008
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #6
    What cant happen?
     
  7. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #7
    If you're determined to buy the MacBook Pro, then buy the MacBook Pro.
     
  8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #8
    There wouldn't be an update one month after an update. They're updated every 6 months ± 1 month.
     
  9. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

    kastenbrust

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2008
    Location:
    North Korea
    #9
    when the imacs do get updated theyre only going to get a little speed bump, nothing major, no huge redesign, unlikely quad core. so maybe that can help yor decision.
     
  10. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
  11. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

    adamvk

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2008
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #11
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant if I were to buy a current gen iMac and then in February a new one came out.
     
  12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #12
    Oh, okay. That WILL happen, then. :p
     
  13. BigD58 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2008
    Location:
    North Carolina
    #13
    Get the Unibody MBP, i have one and i love it.

    Also even if you are going to be using it MOSTLY at a desk its always nice to be able to sit on the couch with your mac. Plus if you ever travel its nice to be able to take it with you.:D
     
  14. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

    adamvk

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2008
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #14
    Ya it would be nice. I'm just worried about not having the best performance and screen real estate. You may be thinking just buy an extra LCD, but I may not have a job when summer arrives so I'm trying to be careful with what I buy.
     
  15. oc2pus macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2008
    Location:
    Germany
    #16
    If you ask the question: Would you like to have the option to take your computer with you, then...
    a) ...buy the MBP
    Period.

    Seriously, MacBooks are a great way to do about anything you like, and the new MB(P) are great machines.
     
  16. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

    adamvk

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2008
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #17
    Ya, This is why I have the poll. I don't know what to do! Now theres that article that someone posted saying Apple will have another keynote this month meaning probably a new iMac, and that with a 9600m would be faster than a MBP, and cheaper...Ugh I hate waiting for computers. Why cant all the hardware just stay the same? :)
     
  17. apolloa macrumors G3

    apolloa

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2008
    Location:
    Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
    #18
    I would wait, if you don't need the portability then for what you want to do the extra power in an updated iMac would be worth it, plus you get more bang for ya buck, and the extra size screen is useful.
     
  18. Dreamail macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2003
    Location:
    Beyond
    #19
    Budget Will Decide

    I think the answer comes from your budget.

    Since you do 3D/CAD a quad-core system is going to be much better.
    So is a screen with higher resolution.
    The 15" MBP's res is not as nice as a 1920x1200 iMac, let a lone the rumored 28" iMac.
    Don't know what 3D package you use, but e.g. Maya has a recommended screen resolution of 1600x1200 to guaranteed show all menu items and onscreen controls. A 15" MBP's resolution does NOT cut it. You'll still be able to use it, but it's outside the recommended configuration and some features might be hard to access.


    It is pretty clear though that new iMacs should happen within 4-6 weeks from today. My money would be just before the Apple Shareholder meeting mid February. Apple so far very often had some sort of release before big shareholder meetings.

    Last year we had a really good January and February, with something new almost every Tuesday. Could be happening again this year and the iMacs could be introduced much sooner. Although I do not expect many releases around President's Day. That event will just drown every publicity.


    To answer the question:
    - If you can afford a quad-core iMac (likely a bit more expensive than current models), or
    - If you can afford a 28" iMac (also more expensive than current models)
    Then I would wait 4-6 weeks for these.

    If they don't happen, by that time the 17" MBP should be in stock and you might have saved up even more to afford it?

    If you cannot afford any of these bigger, better iMacs, then there is not much point in waiting. You might as well get the MBP now. Unless the screen resolution is a dealbreaker for you. 1920x1200 is much nicer than 1440 by 900 for 3D work (assuming you're thinking of a 24" iMac).
     
  19. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

    adamvk

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2008
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #20
    Ya I would go with the 24" iMac. Anyways I think I may just go for the MBP. More screen real estate would be nice, but if I get desperate I could just buy an external monitor. I know dell sells 19" wide screen LCDs for only $130 or so. Also I probably wouldn't want to spend more than $2k or so leaving out the quad core iMac or the 28" iMac, plus 28" is so freaking huge, I cant see Apple making one quite yet. Same thing with the 17" MBP, its a little too much. I'm beginning to realize that the MBP is my best option. :)
     
  20. Dreamail macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2003
    Location:
    Beyond
    #21
    As far as I found these are not 1920x1200 res though, and hence useless for applications that require 1200 vertical resolution (unless you want to stack it on top of your MBP). The cheapest decent one at that resolution I found was an ASUS for around $400.

    Just be aware.

    But I do think you'd be happier with the MBP in the long run (if you can't afford a quad-core iMac). The world's going mobile and you will get uses out of your MBP that the iMac wouldn't be able to do.
     
  21. tMac85 macrumors 65816

    tMac85

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2007
    Location:
    in a great place
    #22
    youre so close. wait til feb and see what comes.

    if not see if they have gotten some bugs out of the uni bodys

    or release a new imac. ( doubt)
     
  22. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

    adamvk

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2008
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #23
    Nah I don't want to wait until February, even to the end of January is awhile. I'm waiting until next Wednesday incase something comes out Tuesday, then I'm buying a MacBook Pro. :)
     
  23. oc2pus macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2008
    Location:
    Germany
    #24
    Good Choice and just in case you need extra screen real-estate, try to get your hands on a nice external screen.
     
  24. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

    adamvk

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2008
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #25
    Thanks I thought it was a good choice :) The Poll agreed also.
     

Share This Page