Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amateurmacfreak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2005
Okay, so, being an adolescent craving attention, I just haaadd to make this post. :rolleyes:
Anyways, instead of turning this thread into some emo whine session, I was just interested to hear the stories of the adolescence of people on this board.... the good, the bad, the beautiful, the mucky?

Adolescence is amazing. I'm not sure if it's the embodiment of life or just some little preview or a time of wicked swirling change and emotion that will never come back.
I just know that it's amazing and exhiliarating and sometimes tiring and sometimes painful and sometimes beautiful.
I just know that it's everything I've ever felt pushed into.... a second.

How was your adolescence/what were you memorable events? What does adolescence mean to you??

Is it a melodramatic flash, or living forever in a moment of time?
Is it truth or is it fiction?
Is it finding who you are or making it or buring it over who you want to be?

Okay, just answer please, I've gotten carried away... :eek:

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I don't know how to describe it, but I'm sure it was different to yours. You sound way more mature at 13 than I did at your age. :eek:

Anyway, at 13, really awful awful family stuff was happening in my life.

amateurmacfreak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2005
Okay.
I'm starting to figure that maybe this thread is lame... :eek:

Okay, so, to me adolescence means feeling responsible, loved, unloved, out of control of my life, smart, and dumb all in a day.

a) I did my homework before spending much time on the computer. Of course, I feel asleep on the floor where I was doing it, so I woke up @ 7:45, needed to eat dinner, and only had a bit of the work done.

b) My friends love me like crazy. We show it in our udder weirdness and the words we craft to each other. Do I sould like a psycho adolescent? A definate perhaps.

c) I think my friend who's graduating from 8th grade left me something metaphorically like he did my friend Susie (totally platonic relationship)... or at least he said he is. I'm still trying to figure out what the heck is going on with that, and whether it makes me depressed, floating, or pissed b/c he's being strange or... you should know him... wait, this is unloved... it's hard to explain.

d) Refer to a.... my science hw due Wed. which I wanted to do is not started

e) Hmm... how did I feel smart today??

f) My friend in a lower, less advanced class than me could do some of my math. She acted like it was easy. I think she was trying to make herself feel better, so I tried to encourage her a lot and tell he good job and that she seems to be really good with algebra. I liked to encourage her. I don't like convincing myself that she's better at math than me when I don't.... know what I believe

</whine>

Sathos

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2005
Alberta, Canada
When I was 12-14, I was grumpy, unwilling to leave the house, didn't feel incredibly fond of anyone at all (in fact quite disliked people), tried to completely block out emotions... I've seen a lot of change since that. Definitely not proud of what I was like then (maybe not quite yet proud of who I am yet either though, but I have time), but I guess it could have been worse.

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
amateurmacfreak said:
How was your adolescence/what were you memorable events?

Mine was not turbulent and rebellious as many are that one hears about. It was a period in which I found myself more introspective and subjected to occasional periods of moodiness that could last for a few days.

Highlights: 1. recognizing and appreciating how music could quickly get me back to my normal self ... 2. some valued conversations with older relatives who vividly described their love for baseball of a different era that made me feel as if I was actually at the games ... 3. my attractive French teacher in my first year of high school on Long Island. When she seated herself on a chair in front of the desk and crossed her legs, it required quite an effort to concentrate on what she was saying.

Lowlights: 1. being ostracized by certain classmates for never joining in as others began to explore the world of smoking and drinking ... 2. visits to a dermatologist (the promise was big, the results were not). Patience and the passage of time provided a noticable improvement.

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
Got into a lot of fights with parents, particulary my Dad.

Other than that, definitely talked to a lot more girls than I do now. Maybe cuz I'm alot geekier now. Dunno if that's a good thing or bad thing haha.

nightdweller25

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2005
I'm loving the moments I'm having. I have the best possible friends I could ask for (it's been 4 years:eek:). We just laugh at the stupid people around us who gossip and cause drama, easily fall into peer pressure, and have fights that when you think of, are completely stupid. I really am having he time of my life and am dreading the inevitable coming of adulthood (adulthood to me is graduation from college).

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
nightdweller25 said:
(adulthood to me is graduation from college).

That's actually comforting to hear that some people still consider that the transition point.

Granted, adulthood could be simply mental maturity as opposed to a certain period in someone's life.

iSaint

macrumors 603
If you compare 12-14 year olds of today and what they were held responsible for, or expected to do, 100 years ago, there's a big difference. 12 year old boys were beginning to learn a trade, and the girls were getting ready to be 'married off.' This is true for any time period before recent times.

I want to do a study on this someday...

Anyway, my adolesence sucked.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
my adolescence eh, it was all a blur of painkillers, other things and alcohol

and i volunteered at the hospital a lot ^_^

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Being a gay adolescent sucks.

Most of my late teens were a drug-induced stupor (mainly pot and painkillers and tranquilizers).

I'd take my life now over all of it. :)

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
iGary said:
Being a gay adolescent sucks.

Yeah most of the kids i knew (didn't have many friends as kid nor now :'( ) came out after highschool due to being afraid of, well, high school jocks and the bullying apparently associated with being "gay". All i know is i never would insult someone on purpose may have done it unintentional some times, but i cannot help that. One of my best friends at college happens to be gay and i can never see why anyone would ever not accept them...but meh don't want to turn this into a debate.

Hell half the people on the night shift at the hospital (which my girlfriend works on during the summer) thinks i am gay (my girlfriend does not think i am gay, i don't think... @_@). And we are trying to find out if i get hit on by more men or women, so we keep a tally going.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
amateurmacfreak said:
I just know that it's amazing and exhiliarating and sometimes tiring and sometimes painful and sometimes beautiful.

What a wonderful, beautiful sentence.

Oh. And you get it. So, welcome to the rest of your life. It's wonderful across all of its desperation.

amateurmacfreak said:
I just know that it's everything I've ever felt pushed into.... a second.

Now THAT'S adolescence. And it explains why my students can't stay in their seats for 50 minutes without going crazy. And why they sometimes start singing for no apparent reason.

IanF0729

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2005
Washington, DC.
eva01 said:
Yeah most of the kids i knew (didn't have many friends as kid nor now :'( ) came out after highschool due to being afraid of, well, high school jocks and the bullying apparently associated with being "gay".

::raises hand::

I didn't care for adolescence much...I got by as straight, but I wish I had "come out" way earlier after I knew instead of dating women...::hangs head in shame::

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.