AHCI on Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by DELTAsnake, Sep 10, 2012.

1. DELTAsnake macrumors 6502

DELTAsnake

I've just ordered a new SSD and I'm planning to put Windows 8 RTM Evaluation on it, see how I like it and then decide if I want to shell out for Windows 8 or go back to 7. I have a older SSD now in my Mac Pro and I did this hack http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=760482 to get AHCI working in Windows 7. I'm wondering if this work around is still required to get AHCI working in Windows 8 or has Microsoft actually got it working right in 8? Thanks in advance.

2. HandySam macrumors member

lol, It's not Microsoft (their operating system works well) it's Apple with their stupid implementation of Bootcamp. Only the newer Macs (retina, 2012 MBP models) have AHCI support in bootcamp. Apple still uses IDE for older Macs.

I find this really annoying if Apple just allowed Windows to be installed in EFI (they have to adjust their EFI a little bit to make it compatible) than that would mean allot faster machine for those who use Windows. In fact Windows 8 will bootup faster then Mac OS X in native EFI mode.

So if you are on an older Mac, then yes, you have to use the AHCI hack.