Ahead of Apple Watch Debut, Jawbone and Others Push Fitness Wearables to Businesses

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 11, 2014.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

With Apple's Watch looming on the horizon, fitness makers are moving to push their services to a variety of individual and corporate customers. The latest band maker to improve its offerings is Jawbone, which this week announced a new program designed to get its UP fitness bands into the office and on the wrists of business people in the US.

The new UP for Groups provides discounts on bulk orders of the fitness trackers, as well as software features to manage and encourage group participation. It is compatible with the existing UP24 tracker, the new UP Move and the upcoming UP3.

[​IMG]
    Unlike the individualized consumer version of UP, UP for Groups allows administrators to work with large groups of participants. Admins can view aggregated statistics to see when their employees need to move and send out timely activity reminders to the group. Participants can take part in group challenges and view their group's statistics with an emphasis on the number of active participants in a group and not the number of steps walked by each member.

The new UP for Groups is part of a growing movement to address obesity in adults using feedback from fitness trackers. Jawbone competitor Fitbit already has a corporate fitness program, while Misfit is partnering with the Oscar insurance company on a rewards program for subscribers with healthy habits.

Apple's upcoming Watch is expected to kick off a further explosion of interest in fitness trackers when it is released in 2015. Increased consumer interest will open new doors in the health field with Apple reportedly in talks with insurance companies, hospitals and other health institutions about its HealthKit initiative and iOS Health app. Apple already is partnering with the Mayo Clinic and electronic health record company Epic Systems, and more partnerships are undoubtedly in the works.

Article Link: Ahead of Apple Watch Debut, Jawbone and Others Push Fitness Wearables to Businesses

2. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

Went through 18 Jawbone UPs. Not getting another unless they're free.

[​IMG]

3. odditie macrumors 6502

I get the logic to not get another, but how did you get to 18? How does it take 18 to get to that point?

4. taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

Um, yeah...? 18?

5. musika macrumors 65816

musika

Jawbone is the most interesting player in the wearable game to me, right now.

6. teslo macrumors 6502a

teslo

give him a break, it's hard to motivate to get healthy. 18 jogs around the park is a start....

7. Daalseth macrumors 6502a

I still think the idea of all the time fitness trackers is a solution looking for a customer. Sure a lot of people TALK about tracking their activity, and counting their calories, and monitoring their vital statistics. Usually it's in line at McDonalds or sitting in front of the TV. When it gets right down to it I suspect most of these things would get used for a few weeks and then will gather dust in a sock drawer. I just don't believe there's anywhere near the market out there that these companies, Apple included, think there is.

8. nikicampos macrumors 6502a

You do know that you can use it more than once when you go for a run, you don't have to buy one each time you go out.. ;)

9. Mr. B macrumors regular

How are you using your jawbone?

I've had mine for months now without a problem, use it as a silent alarm every day!

10. warfed macrumors regular

So basically like the entire health/fitness industry...

11. Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

As an evil corporate overlord I would like to buy these to make sure my employees are at their desks. How many times do you need to go to the bathroom? Get back to work!!

12. avanpelt macrumors 68030

I wish I could get excited about all these bands and watches -- including Apple Watch -- but I just haven't been able to.

For my purposes, the sensors on the iPhone 6 that measure steps and distance inside the Health app are just fine. I'm not an exercise guru but I like to do what I can to maintain a somewhat healthy lifestyle which involves regular activity. I'm sure the iPhone 6 sensors aren't perfect but they're certainly good enough for my purposes and they seem to paint a fairly accurate picture of my steps and distance moved from one day to the next.

Plus, I don't have to think about carrying my iPhone because I almost always have it in my pocket anyway. I also don't have to think about charging my iPhone because I do that every night out of necessity/habit. For me, anyway, sticking with the iPhone alone for movement tracking seems to make the most sense at the moment.

13. redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

Right. Obviously there is some kind of market because there are companies successfully serving it. But just how big is it? How is the Apple Watch going to offer "more" than the products already out there? And just how much "more" would it take to attract a large number of customers to this market which don't find the existing products compelling enough?

I am one of those potential customers. I have not yet bought a fitness wearable or smartphone watch accessory. But I very much am interested in such a device. There just isn't one which does everything I'd want such a device to do. Sadly, what I know of the Apple Watch thus far suggests there will continue to be no such device.

14. studio¹³¹ macrumors 6502

studio¹³¹

You know you can use them more than once, right???

15. gugy macrumors 68040

gugy

I hope Apple and Nike can come back with a great band tracker. Something that is waterproof and don't need an iPhone.
    I would be sold. I have no interest in dropping my Omega to get an :apple:Watch until they fix the two issues above.

16. jkdem85 macrumors member

I went through 7... I emailed The Verge and many other tech sites trying to get some traction on the up v2.0 breaking after a few weeks of regular use (even after I stopped showering) and no one would follow up on it. I don't get why there is literally no news about the supposed updated version being just as bad, if not worse, than version 1.0. I loved the interface and design of the band, but finally gave up and moved to fitbit..

17. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

I can think of a few million users in the fitness market that might disagree with you, but I understand not be excited about these wearables.

I am waiting for the wearables that will do everything my iPhone can do. Basically replace my phone. That would be exciting to me.

18. avanpelt macrumors 68030

Strap nine on each arm and you get 18x the miles! ;)

19. octothorpe8 macrumors 6502

This creeps me out. How long before your insurance premiums go up if you aren't exercising enough? Or before you "activity report" becomes a hiring or promotion factor. Maybe they can start tracking what you eat as well.

20. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Apparently to some, it is at least 18 times more interesting than anything else....

21. 2457282 Suspended

I am debating the whole thing. I have thought that all these devises are ugly (this one included), and even the iwatch seems big and bulky. But since I got the iphone 6, I have noticed that I pay a lot of attention to the distance I walk each day and flights of stairs I climb. So, I am finally noticing that it is possible to be motivated by these devises.

I am still not liking the idea of buying another product and especially for my wrist. So for now, I think I will just focus on steps, miles and flights (the things my iphone measures).

22. Junipr macrumors regular

Junipr

They call him the pedophile Jawbone UP guy. Once they get to 18, he's not interested.

23. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

pnoyblazed

24. Daalseth macrumors 6502a

How many people get gym memberships, and never go
    How many people have a treadmill, they never use.
    How many people resolve to loose weight, but don't.
    How many people say they're going to take up running, and stop with the first cold morning.

The health and fitness industry is driven by a small percentage of people that are very serious about it, and a lot of people that say they're going to do something, but never do. The idea that Apple or any of the other companies expect to sell tens or hundreds of millions of devices to track health stats is nuts. They are betting heavily on most people starting to pay more than lip service to tracking their health stats. IMO that's is way overly optimistic.

25. dave2010 macrumors regular

[/COLOR]
    I was planning on getting an Up3 as I already use a HRM and a device without a chest strap would be good.
    Reading all the reports of broken UPs and stuff, I don't think the company will come out with an accurate HRM as the optical sensor looks too narrow and flimsy.
    I ordered a Mio Fuse instead. Hoping it works, but will return it if it's not accurate.

BTW, in a corporate environment these will just be digital handcuffs- like work supplied phones already are.