Ahh! I'm stupid! (MBP order)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jeremy Gray, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Jeremy Gray macrumors regular

I ordered a 17" MBP and it's too late to cancel. I did the high-resolution display option and the standard HDD.

I didn't realize that on the 17" the 7200 rpm hard drive didn't delay the order...
    And it's too late to cancel.

Is there that much of a difference between the 5400 and 7200 rpm hard drive?
    Is there a battery life increase with the 5400 compared to the 7200?

Someone make me feel better HAHA, I suck.

2. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

You don't suck. ;)

Have you tried calling Apple?

3. Jeremy Gray thread starter macrumors regular

But I already have received my free iPod, but it won't be free if the laptop is on a different order. So that's $200 right there, and I'm just so frustrated with myself. Is the 5400 much slower than the 7200, honestly?

4. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Question in terms of speed is what are you going to be doing with it?

If you're going to be encoding a huge amount of HD video content, then yes, it will be slower, but not by that much. We're talking anandtech speed tests here- the difference between 2.7 and 3.3 seconds :rolleyes:

If you're not going to be streaming that kind of stuff, then you will not be able to tell a difference. That, and your battery life will increase. I have a 160- 5400 (Merom), and the I/O speeds are not much lower than my G5 tower. Just chill- it will be a beast of a machine. :)

5. Jeremy Gray thread starter macrumors regular

I'm just one of those 'need the best' sort of guys ya know? Spending that much money, I want the best. And I wish now I'd just ordered with the 7200.

The laptop's primary uses will be:
    @ school: basic stuff, note taking, word processing
    @ home: Safari, iTunes, GarageBand, and a lot of Aperture (I work with RAW files) but some of those files will be coming off of my 7200 rpm 250gb external hard drive too.

And if the 5400 does help with battery life, then I think it's worth it because I'm at school six hours a day and I already don't figure the laptop will last through the day HAHA.

6. Jeremy Gray thread starter macrumors regular

Another thing:
    Under AppleCare can I have an Apple authorized repair place switch out the hard drive for a faster/bigger one in a year or two without voiding the warranty?
    I know I'd obviously have to pay for the hard drive, but would I have to pay for the switch itself?
    I can see there being like, a 250gb 7200 rpm hard drive for laptops in a year or two, and that sounds appealing.

7. Igantius macrumors 65816

There's no problem at all getting an Apple certfied engineer to do that - you do have to pay to get that done... not sure of the cost but a couple of people have posted quotes recently, so you do a search (unless someone can oblige now).

In terms of what you'll be using it for, you're not going to notice the difference between a 5400 and 7200.

8. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

I wouldn't worry. I have found that when it comes to laptop drives 5400 seems just as fast as 7200. Keep in mind that even a 7200 drive in a notebook is 25% slower than a 7200 desktop drive. I ran benchmarks on the 2 in xbench. Plus the new 250gb scorpio 5400 might be faster than a 7200 drive because of ther perpendicular recording and density of the platters. Just get the 250gb later and put it in yourself.

9. Jeremy Gray thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies everyone. I feel a bit better now, I'm sure once I open up the beauty when it arrives next week (or Friday if I'm lucky) then I'll forget all about the hard drive inside :)