ahhhh can't update!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by canuhandlethis8, Mar 25, 2010.

1. canuhandlethis8 macrumors member

Hey all,

I just formatted my HD, and ran software update, and for the life of me, I cannot download or install the newest combo update. I've tried downloading it from apple and though software update. Am I out of options??
    [​IMG]

2. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

3. coolbits macrumors member

WTF? this is not windows...

Repair permissions, remove everything from software update folder /library/updates and try again... or manualy download update package from apple servers...

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

try two things
    The first was from the apple discussions forum
    The second is to backup and delete the stuff in the /Library/Updates folder.

The latter suggestion should work, though you may incur this message again. Hopefully the first suggestion resolves this now and in the future.

5. canuhandlethis8 thread starter macrumors member

* I am trying to update on a freshly formatted harddrive, with a clean install of Snow Leopard...I finally got all my music, docs, and pictures back on....if i reinstall will I have to redo EVERYTHING? again??

6. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

7. canuhandlethis8 thread starter macrumors member

I reinstalled, things seem to be somewhat better, I'm going to attempt to update. No need to be short with me, I'm just seeking advice from you guys

8. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

You did not need to reinstall.

Someone gave you a valid suggestion and you ignored it. I was "short" with you because it seemed that you did not read and follow the advice given. You wasted your time and the time of those here who tried to help. Reinstalling may have "fixed" the problem, but was an unnecessary action.

9. canuhandlethis8 thread starter macrumors member

Nope still failed again after 2 clean installs, and 1 lonnnng format of the HD
    [​IMG]

10. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Maybe this would be a good time to read the above suggestion?

EDIT:
    A permissions repair should also pick up the permission issue described by maflynn, that way you don't have to do it manually.

11. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If that doesn't work, try manually downloading the update from Apple's website.

12. canuhandlethis8 thread starter macrumors member

I have tried to download from apple's website a few times, with the same error :(

13. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Repair Permissions and then delete everything inside /Library/Updates then try again.