AHHHHHH!!! It just wont stop!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CJRhoades, Dec 24, 2007.

1. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

I currently own a PowerBook G4 Titanium Onyx (667 Mhz/ 1GB RAM/ 30GB HD/ OS X.4) that has been running fine since I bought it in 2001. Just recently it started to randomly shut down. I thought at first it might be faulty RAM but it still did it even when I swapped the RAM out for new. It randomly shuts down 2-3 times per day and I cannot figure out what is causing it. There is no warning to when it happens. I constantly lose work and it's becoming unreliable. Anybody have any info for me? I really need help....

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Is it happening only when the unit is hot? Tried replicating failure when unit was cold?

Different software or drivers installed recently?

Disc permissions verified and/or OS is ok? Re install OS?

Defective perephial attached, or damaged drive (hard drive or optical)?

Defective battery - and/or over loaded power supply?

ESD?

3. CJRhoades thread starter macrumors 6502

I have already re-installed the OS and it still does the same think. Cold or hot also does not seem to be the problem because it has happened once or twice right after I logged in. I don't think it is a battery problem either because I just replaced it. The random shutdown seems to usually happen when the laptop is being moved or when the display angle is being adjusted. I really hope it is not a HD problem...

4. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Could be your display cabling. With the exception of the newest LCDs - many were CFL backlit. CFLs require a hi-voltage driver a.k.a. ballast. (not super-hi voltage - but certainly in the kilovolt range - a lot higher than board logic range)

So pretending that your "clamshell harness" (the wire harness that carries video signal / power to your LCD) is failing - the insulation may have broken down over time from movement - and perhaps your logic board is getting a little "zap" when this happens.

It could also be from the connector itself - say it worked loose, and is giving you an intermittent current spike / short.

For poops and giggles - are you 100% sure it is shutting off - and you're not just losing your LCD backlight? (you can find out by holding a bright flashlight up to the screen - and seeing if your computer is actually still on)

A hard drive failing won't always cause the computer to just "turn off" - you'll get a kernel panic, read/write and booting failures. Even some nasty noise with some failures.

Something causing your computer to turn off at random - sounds like a physical issue rather than a software one.

5. CJRhoades thread starter macrumors 6502

I know that it is completely shutting off because when I hit the power button to turn it back on, I can hear the startup sound and the whole os startup happens. I do actually think it might be the display but I'm in horror of what I may have to do to fix it. If it helps any, exactly when it shuts down there is a very faint beep sound coming from inside the computer, not the speakers.

6. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

That sounds like a hardware / logic board problem.

When was the last time you cleaned out your intake/exhaust ports/fans?

I'd say open it up (with a little help from google) and make sure all your connectors / cables are in place and intact. Then clean out all the dust / crap that likely is hiding inside your laptop after 6+ years. I'd do that first - before i started replacing hardware.

Edit: Can you run an Apple hardware test on that? (via install disk or what not) -- I only recently got back into Apples (2 years ago) and don't know about your particular Apple.

That's another thing I'd do - even before cracking it open...

7. CJRhoades thread starter macrumors 6502

OK I'll give that a try. But, just in case that doesn't work, what hardware component would you recommend replacing first?

Edit: I have actually already tried running a hardware test and it showed everything ok.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's not really worth replacing at this point.

I surprised no one has mentioned the PRAM battery yet.

9. CJRhoades thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually it's one of the first things I thought of. I already replaced it.

10. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

In over 30 years, with all of my (and client & friend's) PC's, I think I actually had to change one exactly once. It was a six or seven year old 386DX2/40. I actually kept the battery as a trophy of sorts for years. Even though they can--and do--fail, I'm still caught by surprise when one does.

I still tell folks that if you're going to keep a machine over three years, you should change the battery; over five, you'd better, or else don't call me.

11. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Honestly - it could be anything at this point. First step is narrowing down your field of possibilities.

I'd suggest looking at Apple support forums, searching this problem in Google (random shut down Powerbook G4 titainum and the hardware test / cleaning before jumping to anything else.

(why swap LCDs, Hard drives, Main Boards, ect... if there is no need to)

With the age of that Laptop ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerBook_G4

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I know how it is. I have a few decade and older machines still running with their original batteries.

Not that it wouldn't surprise me if one were to fail.

13. CJRhoades thread starter macrumors 6502

I have in fact already checked the apple support pages for information and came up with 1 result. It had something to do with the reset button being stuck down but I already checked for that problem.

14. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Looking at your sig - why are you losing your work so often? Any particular reason you're not using your SR in place of it?

15. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Yeah you have a modded G4 1.8 Ghz PowerBook, and the highest end MacBook Pro.

Of course I wouldn't want a computer to go to waste but you can't be doing serious work on it now if you have those other laptops mentioned above.

16. CJRhoades thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes I do have the notebooks mentioned in my sig but I was hoping to give the 667 Mhz PowerBook G4 to my friend as a gift. That's why I want it fixed so badly.