Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The AI-powered fitness gym "Tempo" today announced integration with the Apple Watch, allowing Tempo customers to sync their workouts and fitness and health data directly to their Apple Watch.

tempo-apple-watch.png

Amongst its demographic of users, Tempo says that more than 70% are iPhone users, with a smaller 35% owning an Apple Watch. Tempo had been teasing Apple Watch integration for some time, and with it finally arriving, Tempo customers now have access to a host of settings, features, and data right on their wrist. During workouts, for example, customers can pause and resume sessions without needing to touch the Tempo display, minimizing distractions and wasted time.

More importantly, Apple Watch integration means that Tempo customers will no longer need to rely on third-party or external health monitoring equipment during their workouts. Using the built-in sensors on the Apple Watch, Tempo customers can now access their heart rate, calorie burn, and additional data synced with their Tempo workouts.

For those unfamiliar with Tempo, the company calls itself "the only home gym with interactive coaching" that uses 3D sensors with advanced AI technology to help customers perfect their form and workouts during training. Tempo offers not only real-time feedback but also coaching and "premium" dumbells worth upwards of $1,000.

Article Link: AI Gym 'Tempo' Announces Integration With Apple Watch

Last edited:

MrDerby01

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2010
You can make book that apple will steal something from their product OR buy the company out to eliminate competition.

ThisIsMike

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2007
Not nice.

The fact that EVERY OTHER workout app was made from scratch to sync with Apple Fitness / Health makes this a backwards setup from day one.
What are you saying? That Tempo was late to add this functionality? Or am I misunderstanding? You could argue that, yes, but it's certainly not a "backwards setup" to offer the compatibility moving forward. My gf has a Tempo and an Apple watch, and this is exciting news for her!

Reactions: cdebinger

DaRev

macrumors regular
May 16, 2018
Parts Unknown
about a month ago iFit (Proform/NordicTrac/Others) added Apple Fitness Integration. It is good seeing more companies opening up to allowing users to use their tracker of choice.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
What are you saying? That Tempo was late to add this functionality? Or am I misunderstanding? You could argue that, yes, but it's certainly not a "backwards setup" to offer the compatibility moving forward. My gf has a Tempo and an Apple watch, and this is exciting news for her!

oh by all means it’s a great addition but fitness tracking has been in WatchOS since the S3 and I’ve used at least 6 different workout apps that supported this from day 1. Just odd that this was an after thought. I worry about bugs unless it was fully re-written but users will see.

what do you mean though, that watch os should be made compatible to various apps?
Lol no no. I mean fitness tracking and synching in very many WatchOS apps have had this functionality for years now. What I’m saying is it’s strange to add such features long after the app was released - its a disservice to iOS and WatchOS users as a critical and ease of use feature/function was omitted, until now.

yes great the function is added. The question was why was it not added initially during development?

Reactions: alexandr

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
Lol no no. I mean fitness tracking and synching in very many WatchOS apps have had this functionality for years now. What I’m saying is it’s strange to add such features long after the app was released - its a disservice to iOS and WatchOS users as a critical and ease of use feature/function was omitted, until now.

yes great the function is added. The question was why was it not added initially during development?
ah, gotcha — yes, that makes sense) unfortunately you see this in many instances. some health apps aren't properly integrated with apple health, which is just a nuisance...

Reactions: DeepIn2U

ThisIsMike

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2007
oh by all means it’s a great addition but fitness tracking has been in WatchOS since the S3 and I’ve used at least 6 different workout apps that supported this from day 1. Just odd that this was an after thought. I worry about bugs unless it was fully re-written but users will see.

My impression of Tempo is that they aren't a huge company. They're not Peloton. So for them to add the functionality to the Tempo unit might have been not a simple matter for them, I don't know. But if you want to play conspiracy theorist, they sell their own heart rate monitor that works with the Tempo, and they might have been reluctant to undermine that. Obviously, there were ultimately too many people demanding the apple watch functionality for Tempo to ignore them. Also, Tempo isn't a workout app, it's a workout base station with a screen for classes and form feedback, which means they have to be able to have that communicate directly with the watch, just as they did the heart rate monitor.

At any rate, I wouldn't call it a step backwards. Just a very late step forward. lol

Reactions: DeepIn2U
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.