AIFF-C : doesn't it play on a car stereo?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Nostromo, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

All my music files in iTunes are in Apple Lossless.

I recently burned a few copies of my CDs for the car.

But the car stereo declines to play it.

Years back I had uncompressed, original AIFF files in iTunes, and when I burned a CD, it played without problems.

I checked the file format of the burned tracks: it's AIFF-C.

Could this be the problem? Which setting should I change in iTunes to burn regular AIFF files?

Thanks!

2. Nostromo thread starter macrumors 65816

Nostromo

No comment why I can't play in my car any of the discs I burned since I switched all Files to Apple Lossless?

Is it AIFF-C's fault, or were those Taiyo-Yuden discs I bought from Amazon bad?

3. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

As long as you choose "Audio CD" when you burn in iTunes, there shouldn't be a problem. But some CD players, (especially car stereo players) are very picky when it comes to CD-Rs. Try another brand.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"I checked the file format of the burned tracks: it's AIFF-C."

Is there some sort of difference between "regular" ".aiff" files (or ".aif") and "AIFF-C"?

If so, what does the "C" represent?

Does it stand for some kind of file/metadata info that's "above and beyond" the standard format for regular "aiff" files? If so, could such additional data (perhaps embedded into the audio data) "confuse" a car's CD player?

Not sure here, just wondering.

Suggestions:
    If you're unable to burn with iTunes, can you try burning from Toast, or perhaps one of the freeware/shareware CD burning apps like "Simply Burns"? Any better?

5. Nostromo thread starter macrumors 65816

Nostromo

I'll give Toast a try.

I have burned 12 discs of the Taiyo-Yuden so far, and none plays in my car stereo.

But, as JollyJimmy mentioned, it might just be my car stereo.

And I thought I'd make a sure deal out of this by buying the revered and expensive Taiyo-Yuden discs... ;)

Fishrrman, as far as I found out, AIFF-C should be compatible with anything that accepted AIFF. It's an update file format so adapt to newer demands.

There's a wiki page on the web that explains it.