Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timotheezz

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2007
New Jersey
10:45pm - battery @ 44%; downloaded AIM & beejive
12:45am - battery @ 3%

hmm... i was testing both rather heavily. received some errors. i'm sure the servers are overloaded.

but damn, my battery life!! i'm sure the allure will wear off in a few days and i won't be all over it.. or will i? :confused:

Axxl

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2009
Beejive was working for me earlier, but then I had some connection issues (like earlier users, and it thought I was logged on somewhere) and now it no longer pushes. Restart hasn't helped...
Alex

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2008
New York
Ahh I just deleted AIM today because I couldn't see any of my conversations. Hopefully they fixed that, and push is definitely a welcomed addition!

dre29

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
Yahoo not working??

I got the beejive update and I have not been able to log on to yahoo messenger since! It keeps saying "Error Connection failed on all fallback ports". I have no problem getting on through Windows Live though. I want to try to delete the app, then re-download and see if that fixes the problem but not sure it's a good idea because iTunes is still showing an older version of the app.

Anybody else having this problem with Yahoo (or any other messenger)? If so how did you resolve? Is there something I can do, or is it just something on the back end that I can't do anything about?

Also anybody know if the update is available should I be able to delete current version then re-download again with version with push?

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
10:45pm - battery @ 44%; downloaded AIM & beejive
12:45am - battery @ 3%

hmm... i was testing both rather heavily. received some errors. i'm sure the servers are overloaded.

but damn, my battery life!! i'm sure the allure will wear off in a few days and i won't be all over it.. or will i? :confused:

idotht believe push is a huge strain on your battery any more than exchange push is. You can have 50 push apps but there is still only one push daemon running. I mean, it could be push but there is so many variables it's hard to say if that's it.

garethjs

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2008
Tweetie won't get push just because the developer wants it. It's a Twitter thing (twitter runs their servers, Tweetie just grabs content). And because Twitter's servers would be the ones pushing an update to your phone, it'd have to know a) what phone to push it to (handled by the app) but more importantly b) what app to push it to as there could be several Twitter apps installed on your phone.

Then you have to think of the logistics of who's going to pay for the added server load. You'd have to admit that the developers of Twitter apps are basically making their money off the services of Twitter (which is pretty much unheard of in most circles), and now they'd be asking more from them. Twitter is stuck between a rock and a hard place in figuring out how to support the MILLIONS of users needed to make sure the service ran smoothly.

Basically what it all boils down to is that right now, Twitter makes no money, and until it does, push notifications will suck due to unreliability and inadequate server power.

Hmm. Tweetie just has to run their own server. It's not that expensive to setup a virtual server and since it's not a free app I see no issues with this. Then what happens is that twitter connects to the tweetie virtual server where your login details are stored. The virtual server connects to the apple push notification server which maintains an IP connection to your device.

twitter message in -> tweetie server -> apple server -> iphone.

So it's not a twitter issue it's a tweetie issue.

morphineseason

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
Anyone know if AIM in Beejive offers a huge advantage over the official AIM client? I pretty much only use AIM, with the occasional use of Live Messenger, but I'm kind of tempted to get Beejive. It's just hard to justify when the free AIM client also has push notifications now.

Screw it, I went ahead and bought Beejive. I either pay $10 now or $16 later - I think I'll go with the first option. I love my IMing way too much to settle for less, plus it looks like Beejive has some good tools as far as file transfers and voice chat go.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I'll buy something one of these days, but AIM Free does the job!

I didn't even know Push was added--it wasn't in the description of the update, and I was disappointed.

Then I remembered that the description text doesn't always change at the same time as the app version.

AIM Free is beyond glitchy anyone else seeing this even rebooted

Yes: the Buddy list and the Favorites list don't show matching status. Friends may show as online in one list, offline in the other! Relaunching the app doesn't seems to help. Signing out and back in might.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
Hmm. Tweetie just has to run their own server. It's not that expensive to setup a virtual server and since it's not a free app I see no issues with this. Then what happens is that twitter connects to the tweetie virtual server where your login details are stored. The virtual server connects to the apple push notification server which maintains an IP connection to your device.

No, it's a Twitter issue. Imagine if Tweetie decided to setup a push server, thus becoming the only twitter client for the iPhone that supported push. Everyone would use it, which is great, only until the bandwidth bill arrives. There is so much data pumping through twitter that it would not be economically feasible for tweetie to set this up.

jotwee

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
Düsseldorf, Germany
I got the beejive update and I have not been able to log on to yahoo messenger since! It keeps saying "Error Connection failed on all fallback ports". I have no problem getting on through Windows Live though. I want to try to delete the app, then re-download and see if that fixes the problem but not sure it's a good idea because iTunes is still showing an older version of the app.

Anybody else having this problem with Yahoo (or any other messenger)? If so how did you resolve? Is there something I can do, or is it just something on the back end that I can't do anything about?

Also anybody know if the update is available should I be able to delete current version then re-download again with version with push?

yep, yahoo sometimes kinda sucks ;)

davidbrummy

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
yep, yahoo sometimes kinda sucks ;)

Yahoo has change its ports again. I think they do this to try and stop third party AIM clients. I just got a new version of Adium and it is connecting to Yahoo again. Meebo started working again today. I hate Yahoo for this. I do not want to use their client as I know people on AIM, MSN etc.

I expect a new version of Beejive is on its way.

Omni Geno

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2005
Los Angeles, CA, USA
I understand that, but for example... you quit the app and after 24 hours you have to re-start the app to sign in. I think that is stupid.

Right. I agree, although if you are the kind of person who wants push notifications for his/her iPhone IM client, you probably use the app more than once a day to start conversations, and you're not just using the app to wait for IMs from others. In this case, you're going to open the app now and then, making the 24 hr countdown restart every time. At least I think that's how it works.

But hey, maybe there are lots of people who just leave the app on for days and open it less than once a day on average. If you're that kind of person, then the 24 hr limit is definitely stupid.

I, for one, would open it at least once in the morning and at least once at night. In the meantime I'm using whatever desktop client is available. But that's just me.

Axxl

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2009
Noone else is having issues with Beejive? Ugh, guess it's just me then. Haven't gotten a successful push in the past hour or so. Tried reinstalling and restarting to no avail.
Alex

saturniphone

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2008
I understand that, but for example... you quit the app and after 24 hours you have to re-start the app to sign in. I think that is stupid.

And you've just discovered why push notifications are a poor substitute for background apps. I'm sorry, but this isn't just stupid -- it's a disaster.

If AIM let you stay on forever then they would have to keep IMs that were sent to you potentially forever until you eventually opened the app on the iPhone and downloaded those messages. You'll notice that even when you get a push notification you still have to download the IMs from the server when you log in. It's not like push email where the info is actually sent -- just the notification.

I'm just very underwhelmed by push notifications. Instead of coming up with some cheap alternative maybe force programmers to actually not suck and code very efficient background apps. Only a portion of the program has to run in the background. If a programmer does a bad job, no one will use the app. I honestly believe they are masking a problem with their operating system since every other smartphone on the planet can do this just fine and have very usable battery life, etc.

I'd rather have background apps than play Doom or whatever nonsense people feel like they NEED on their phones. I guess the iPhone is destined to be a gaming system and a lackluster mobile platform.

acvball92

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2008
Fairfield County, CT
I have the same problem. I had a friend send me a message which got pushed to my phone. When i jumped on my computer to chat, it still sent the messages to my phone. Was very annoying. Any one have any clues on how this can be changed?

you can set aim as away on your phone, and the notifications will stop going to your phone and only on your computer if your computer is available. it works on mine at least.:D

dkh587

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2009
I'm glad that push is available for the free AIM :D

I need to buy BeeJive again. It sucks that we can't transfer it from Blackberry to iPhone.:(

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009

Ya exactly. How he think Beejive do it? They aren't running the MSN/ICQ etc. servers. They gave their own that keeps you logged in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.