AIM constantly "reconnecting" on iTouch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by FallenAnjel, Aug 11, 2010.

1. FallenAnjel macrumors member

I have a 32gb 3rd gen iTouch and an 8bg 2nd gen iTouch.

I have AIM Free and AIM (no ads) installed on BOTH.

I have TWO instant messenger names. Name "A" is my main name used w/ "real people", Name "B" is for "Internet Friends"

For the last few weeks, while ONLY using my main name, it CONSTANTLY connecting/reconnecting. It doesn't happen w/ my other name. It also happens on BOTH iTouches, and on BOTH AIM apps.

I thought maybe it was because I haven't erased my IM's from a few certain people in 9 months, but no, because when installed "free" aim, and signed on w/ my main name, there were no messages stored, and it still reconnected.

Does anyone have ANY idea why it's doing this? Does that above explanation make any sense at all? It's really annoying, because I have Facebook connected to my main name, and my friends/family use that name to IM me with and I can't use it. :(

Any questions, let me know so I may clarify if I need to. Thanks !

2. avit macrumors regular

avit

Try using another IM app and see if it works.Either that or it's your iPod touch's WiFi that's not working.

3. ed9191 macrumors newbie

I am having the same exact problem. I tried using my other screen name and i can connect with no problem. I have both free and no add version, have tried to uninstall both apps and reinstall. I have even tried logging into 2 of my friends iphones and it happens only with that 1 specific screen name. I thought i was the only person having this problem, does anybody have a fix?

4. ed9191 macrumors newbie

Also, i have tried downloading IM+ and was able to successfullly sign in with the problematic screen name and use it with no problem. I find it so odd that an AOL screen name would work better with a third party app than its own software.

5. FallenAnjel thread starter macrumors member

Wow! I don't feel so alone now! LOL. I will try that IM+ app. I wonder if trillian has an app too.

Avit, it's not the wifi, because any other name works fine, both in free and no ad AIM, so, it's got to be something with the name. The only thing I haven't tried, which I just thought of now, is to make sure I'm not signed on anywhere else.

Ed, were u signed on anywhere else with the problem screen name?

6. ed9191 macrumors newbie

I have tried using AOL SYSTEM MSG to log me off of any other locations i might have been signed on to, that didnt work. And i agree, it has to be something with the screen name itself, as odd as it sounds. The problem began to happen gradually, for about a week, until it now does it every single time. I dont seem to have a problem using IM+ but i would rather use the aim app because of the functionality of the lifestream.