AIM for iPhone by next week?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ayeying, Jun 3, 2008.

1. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Will there be one? If so, will it be similar to the sidekicks' IM feature? If not, I'm seriously considering switching to a Sidekick LX. No joke. I love the iphone, but its a real pain in the ass and battery life too to go on meebo (Beejive doesn't exactly work that well for me), stay there not being able to go back to home, open up another link or even turn off the screen without being disconnected.

Not to mention, even though forwarding IMs by AOL is available, it doesn't exactly work that well either since no one IMs me if they see I'm on that status.

2. Vegan TJ macrumors regular

Vegan TJ

LAME iphone kills all ..have fun with with a not as cool phone

3. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

When AppStore comes out, then so will AIM.

The iPhone's AIM is better than any AIM out there. It allows you to change status, picture, away message (I'm guessing). I'm also guessing it allows for adding buddies, removing, and most of all, has your entire list of buddies and not some mobile list.

Though I really hope it still shows the mobile icon...looks nice on others' screen =P.

Watch the March 6th event to see what AOL's AIM looks like (in only two weeks time, so I'm guessing they've added a ton since then [including away messages, buddy list editing, etc.])

4. newyorksole macrumors 68030

I feel your pain, I'm seeling my used iPhone for $150 a RAZR and a sidekick slide (I like it better than the LX). But I won't really need the sidekick if AIM is going to be available with the launch of the apps store. I figure AIM will be available ASAP because it was showed off on March 6th so they must have had more than enough time to complete it. I just hope the iPhone AIM is good, I actually would prefer Apple releasing iChat.

I did use AIM via texts on the iPhone, but yeah when I see someone mobile I don't IM them, and vice versa.

5. ayeying thread starter macrumors 601

ayeying

Thats an opinion, not a rumor or fact.

Sidekick does all of that. Meebo does most of that (Away msg, buddy list (FULL), status). And I know AIM will come out with the app store but will it be even remotely similar to what the Sidekick has (be connected 24/7, multiple line away msgs, etc.)

Im just hoping it'll be somewhat similar. I can live without multiline away messages, no MSN or yahoo, no changing of buddy icons, etc.

As long as I can be connected 24/7 until battery dies or i run into a location without signal, I'll be happy.

6. newyorksole macrumors 68030

yeah I reallly hope that I can be signed on 24:7 without being signed off until I lose signal and it would be great if I can customize my away messages, they should be able to make it possible

7. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

According to the SDK, no 3rd apps can run in the background so unless Apple makes an exception, AIM won't be on 24/7.

8. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Which is a huge, giant, massive disappointment for me. It's nearly worthless if I can't have it running all the time. I used to do that when I had my BlackBerry; it drains the battery faster, but I charge every night so I don't care.

9. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

Go away.

Probably not. On both counts. Why do you state your guesses like facts?

10. Vegan TJ macrumors regular

Vegan TJ

i will not go away iphone kills any other phone for real so shut the hell up

11. ayeying thread starter macrumors 601

ayeying

Really? damn. I guess thats like a sidekick instead of an iphone for me then. =[

its a shame really. I really like this phone. and i wanna keep it.

12. newyorksole macrumors 68030

Even though I like the sidekick and 98% of my friends have one, I still like the iPhone compared to it. It is a much better phone IMO and even though I need aim, I just text or use AIM when I'm home. The iPhone is deff worth it over the sidekick. Or get an iPhone and buy a prepaid sidekick (if your money is up there).

13. neven macrumors 6502a

My understanding was that AIM has a way of keeping you signed in even after the iPhone client quits. This way, your buddies could still IM you regardless of whether the app was running.

What you *won't* get is message pop-ups in other apps. So if you sign on to AIM, then switch to Safari, any messages that arrive will just sit on the server waiting for you to run AIM again. They won't do SMS-style pop-ups saying "new message from XXX".

Before you make any sort of decision, keep in mind that Apple *may* offer an iChat app for iPhone; in that case, all the above stuff about running in the background and pop-ups is moot, since Apple would implement it exactly like SMS. Message comes in, you get a notification.

Wait until the 9th! :)

14. ayeying thread starter macrumors 601

ayeying

Ya, the money isn't there. Its pretty much either this or that. So ya..

At that part, it owuld just be an inconvience.. but if that was just the case, I'd probably keep the iphone. I'm not making any final decisions until 2.0 comes out. I've waited A LONG time for a aim client... and if apple can't provide one for me after 2.0... i'm switching. Sorry, but I think I waited long enough.

15. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

I own an iPhone and love it, but I'm not stupid enough to assume its the best phone for everyone.

16. smattmul macrumors member

smattmul

they have AIM for iphone, it was some app i downloaded, i would double check but it was stolen last week. "crying"

17. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Looks like someone got out of school early.

18. ayeying thread starter macrumors 601

ayeying

Every app I've downloaded, ApolloIM, yadada, doesn't work whenever I return back to home. Some doesn't work on EDGE. At this part, I'd rather use meebo since its the same damned thing.

No, really. Make some arguments to back up your statement or go away.

19. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Actually, probably.
    There's no reason AIM wouldn't come out day and date with the 2.0 firmware, considering AOL has been working with Apple on it since February. I believe they also showed adding/removing buddies and changing buddy icons and status updates from the phone during that keynote. So his "guesses" are a lot more realistic than yours.

20. ayeying thread starter macrumors 601

ayeying

Its more realistic if they were guesses. He used present tense, which stated it as a fact, in which is not true.

But regardless, I don't expect AIM to come out that exact day. I have until the 20th of this month to either decide to stick with iPhone or go with sidekick since I don't want to cancel internet service in the middle, in which, t-mobile might do something wrong on their end, giving me a headache to call them back and explain to them why they screwed up.

21. Chrisrokc macrumors regular

I bet the AIM comes out and it will be on 24/7 once signed in. Why? Because Exchange and Push Email has to be on 24/7 to get constant updates, so why can't AIM?

I use a program on my Tilt and it is on 24/7. The battery is about dead every night but I charge every night so no big deal. I do hope the iphone 3g has better battery life.

22. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

To be honest, I was basing on my old phone's IM. XD. So basically, the thing that sets the iPhone apart then, would be the user interface. The SDK allows for everything you want it to do (except for file transfers...and for running in the background, I'm sure AOL's got a deal with Apple). And the fact that the iPhone uses an all touch screen keyboard.

Actually, only changing buddy icons were shown =P. Adding/removing and changing status wasn't on there (though the simple going away was). But yeah, I agree. They pretty much wrote all of AIM in just two weeks, so in these months, I'm sure they have everything done. Interesting thing in the keynote was the middle tab bar item which had bonjour. hmm....

23. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Can I ask what may seem like a dumb question?

Why do we need AIM if we can use SMS? I mean, other than physically giving our mobile number out, I don't really see what the big difference is. :confused:

24. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

AIM is free versus buying unlimited SMS messages.

In AIM you can see you is online.

AIM allows group chat easier than SMS.

I personally don't need it but its all the rage in a certain age group.

I think an iChat app w/ a face mounted camera would be cool and useful for me.

25. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

AIM on the iphone will most likely be branded iChat and built in as a new default application. Therefore, it wouldn't be considered 3rd party and could do whatever it wants in terms of processing.