Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CowboyTurbo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2005
Beantown, MA
Hey can somebody post a link to d/l AIM for Mac OS X 10.4.3? I've gone to the AIM website, but I don't think their new version of AIM for the Mac is up and ready yet~ everytime I try to d/l it, the link brings me to a d/l for the Windows version only. I've d/l Adium for the time being, but not too sure how much I like it... (doesn't appear to be a shortcut key [ctrl-b] for bolding or italicizing text when typing messgz.) Thanks in advance.

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
CowboyTurbo said:
Hey can somebody post a link to d/l AIM for Mac OS X 10.4.3? I've gone to the AIM website, but I don't think their new version of AIM for the Mac is up and ready yet~ everytime I try to d/l it, the link brings me to a d/l for the Windows version only. I've d/l Adium for the time being, but not too sure how much I like it... (doesn't appear to be a shortcut key [ctrl-b] for bolding or italicizing text when typing messgz.) Thanks in advance.

OK, first off, all keyboard shortcuts on a Mac are done with Command (the apple key), not control. So in Adium (or any other app, for that matter) Command-B will bold the text, etc.

AIM for Mac is available here, but I HIGHLY suggest against using it. Either Adium or iChat (included on your computer) will give you a far more satisfying and mac-like experience.

iPhil

macrumors 68040
stridey said:
OK, first off, all keyboard shortcuts on a Mac are done with Command (the apple key), not control. So in Adium (or any other app, for that matter) Command-B will bold the text, etc.

AIM for Mac is available here, but I HIGHLY suggest against using it. Either Adium or iChat (included on your computer) will give you a far more satisfying and mac-like experience.

I second the motion against AIM app for OS X.. Use Adium or iChat you'll be happier with those than AIM app..

CowboyTurbo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2005
Beantown, MA
holy crap you guys are fast with the replies. Thanks for all the help. Now can any of you guys tell me how to put a shortcut to startup firefox in my dock? I think I tried dragging the icon to the dock, but it wasn't there when I re-started the computer. Thanks again. And also, in Windows if you hold the "start" key (usually next to ctrl and pulls up the Start menu) and press D, it minimizes ALL open windows. Was wondering if there's a shortcut like that on OS X~ I know command+M will minimize one open window, but is there one to min ALL open windows?

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
CowboyTurbo said:
holy crap you guys are fast with the replies. Thanks for all the help. Now can any of you guys tell me how to put a shortcut to startup firefox in my dock? I think I tried dragging the icon to the dock, but it wasn't there when I re-started the computer. Thanks again.

Dragging it to the dock was the Right Thing™. Occasionally there are issues with that sort of thing not being remembered across launches. Drag it back in, and next time you restart it should still be there.

iPhil

macrumors 68040
stridey said:
Dragging it to the dock was the Right Thing™. Occasionally there are issues with that sort of thing not being remembered across launches. Drag it back in, and next time you restart it should still be there.

drag the firefox icon into the dock then right click on the mouse (if you got a two button mouse) then go to 'Keep in dock'

bursty

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2004
Heres a tip. Go into system preferences, then Mouse/Keyboard, and go to the Keyboard Shortcuts tab. Just look them over and play with them. :cool:

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
CowboyTurbo said:
holy crap you guys are fast with the replies. Thanks for all the help. Now can any of you guys tell me how to put a shortcut to startup firefox in my dock? I think I tried dragging the icon to the dock, but it wasn't there when I re-started the computer. Thanks again. And also, in Windows if you hold the "start" key (usually next to ctrl and pulls up the Start menu) and press D, it minimizes ALL open windows. Was wondering if there's a shortcut like that on OS X~ I know command+M will minimize one open window, but is there one to min ALL open windows?
F11 to show the desktop, or alt+cmd+H to hide all apps except the active one.

CowboyTurbo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2005
Beantown, MA
k, thanx for all the help fellas. Stuck at work right now waiting for 4:30 to roll around so I can go home and play with my new PB :D Was just trying to get some tips to use when I get back.

Daedalus256

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever use the AIM client for OSX hell even the one for OS9. They're HORRIBLE. I've never seen a piece of software crash that much ever.

veedubdrew

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
CowboyTurbo said:
k, thanx for all the help fellas. Stuck at work right now waiting for 4:30 to roll around so I can go home and play with my new PB :D Was just trying to get some tips to use when I get back.

If you're on a 15" or 17" PB, you'll need to hold down the fcn key (function) to get to F9-F11 because the keyboard brightness functions get priority on those keys. F9 F10 and F11 are the keys for Expose, a feature wildly more useful than "minimize all windows." If you like the functions (tile all windows, tile app windows, move all windows and show desktop) then you can set up hot corners in the Expose panel of System Preferences.

For example, when i want to move all the windows out of the way to get to my desktop, the bottom-right of my screen is the hot corner for that function, so I just throw my mouse down and right to accomplish this. Upper right is the show all windows Expose function, so I just mouse up and to the right. Bottom left is show all app windows on my machine, which is useful for having tons of chat windows open but with some buried behind other apps.

And I strongly suggest using iChat instead of AIM. iChat *is* AIM, but without the horrible interface, advertisements, and constant crashing.

-Drew

CowboyTurbo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2005
Beantown, MA
veedubdrew said:
If you're on a 15" or 17" PB, you'll need to hold down the fcn key (function) to get to F9-F11 because the keyboard brightness functions get priority on those keys. F9 F10 and F11 are the keys for Expose, a feature wildly more useful than "minimize all windows." If you like the functions (tile all windows, tile app windows, move all windows and show desktop) then you can set up hot corners in the Expose panel of System Preferences.

For example, when i want to move all the windows out of the way to get to my desktop, the bottom-right of my screen is the hot corner for that function, so I just throw my mouse down and right to accomplish this. Upper right is the show all windows Expose function, so I just mouse up and to the right. Bottom left is show all app windows on my machine, which is useful for having tons of chat windows open but with some buried behind other apps.

And I strongly suggest using iChat instead of AIM. iChat *is* AIM, but without the horrible interface, advertisements, and constant crashing.

-Drew

Awesome, thanx.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
I must ask, why does everyone think AIM for Mac sucks??

In over two years of using AIM for OS X, I think it's maybe crashed ONCE.

I dislike the iChat and Adium interfaces, so I stick with AIM (that, and the fact I've never had any AIM issues).

iPhil

macrumors 68040
Plymouthbreezer said:

I dislike the iChat and Adium interfaces, so I stick with AIM (that, and the fact I've never had any AIM issues).

Why i dislike AIM for OS X is too much "ads" in the client.. so im sticking with Adium X = No annoying ads to look @.. :p :p

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
Plymouthbreezer said:

Dude, I'd never even tried the Official AIM client in OS X before and I must say, I'm impressed so far. I actually like the interface. I'm gonna give it a go for a few days and see if I like it.

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2003
Plymouthbreezer said:

Same here! I feel completely at ease with AIM, and I just don't feel "comfortable" with the iChat interface. I don't know why so many people dislike AIM (very few problems so far)

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
diehldun said:
Same here! I feel completely at ease with AIM, and I just don't feel "comfortable" with the iChat interface. I don't know why so many people dislike AIM (very few problems so far)

I didnt have any problems either untill it quit unexpectedly about ever other minute:mad: right in the middle of coversations. I was about to chuck my new iBook accross the room untill i relized it was AIM that sucked... not my precious

Tommyg117

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I have been using AIM since I got my mac 2 years ago. I find it a lot easier to use than iChat. I just don't like the interface as much. It has never crashed for me. Only once, but that was because the power at my school went out and the internet went as a result! I think it is a good piece of software. Does anyone know if they will ever come out with a new version of it with some more features?

istonedu321

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2005
paoli Pa
i used to like aim when i still had aol. when i switched to comcast i started using ichat and i love it. I tried switching back to aim, but i couldnt remember anybodys screen name. I got so dependent on ichat having their real name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.