AIM Instant Messages Count as Text?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by donm3ga, Aug 30, 2008.

1. donm3ga macrumors member

When I log into my ATT account it has IMs and Text as one line. It says I'm over by a crapload, only because I IM a lot. Do IMs count as text? I would think no and that its part of data because the iTouch has AIM and they don't charge for it.

Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks.

2. gibbz macrumors 68030

Nope. I haven't been charged. It falls under data.

3. Kyeris macrumors 6502

The only reason it would be charged is if you're using text message forwarding with AIM. Where you set it up under your screen name, add your cell phone number, and actually reply to messages within the sms application.

When your bill comes out you can look, if they're forwarded aim messages, under the Type category for text messages, they will be distinct by AOL TXT.

4. donm3ga thread starter macrumors member

Direct quote from the ATT website:

"The text and instant messages (IM) sent and received during the current billing cycle. These messages are also known as Short Messaging Service (SMS). Text and instant message usage reflects the total number of messages sent and received during the current billing cycle."

5. donm3ga thread starter macrumors member

I just called ATT to inquire about where these charges fall, and they do fall under text messages.

6. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

Refer to Kyeris's post. If you are using the AIM app as Kyeris describes you will get charged for text messages. Have you read the instructions on how to use the AIM app and are you sure you are following those instructions? If you have not, you probably ought to do so as you could end up with a hefty bill.

ETA:

It sounds like you aren't using the AIM app right. Best read the instructions as I understand they are pretty clear on how to use it so you won't be charged for using it as text messages.

7. Jayden0606 macrumors 6502

Someone had mentioned it showed on their invoice as a IM, but when looking at my invoice, I don't see it. :)

It should all be data.

8. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i think confusion comes from the fact that IMs count as sms messages on other phones like the blackberry, but this simply isn't true with the iphone, where every IM is counted as just regular data.

from aol's aim website:

i also think part of the confusion comes from the fact that it's so easy to rack up the text messages with the iphone. i remember when i first got my iphone last year, i had triple my normal texting rate. i'm sure a lot of people mistake that kind of increase for being charged for aim sessions.

9. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

This is true as long as the OP is using the AIM app correctly. If the OP is doing as Kyeris describes:

Then the OP will get charged as if they are using SMS.

You are absolutely correct. But you will note in the AIM FAQ's you quoted:

Alerts as described by Kyeris are sent using SMS. This is why I have referred the OP to read how to use the AIM app and to make sure they are following those instructions.

10. donm3ga thread starter macrumors member

How do I do this? I am looking under AIM settings and the only things I see are Screenname, Password, Classic Icons (off), Sign-off on exit (off), and Sounds (off).

Should I turn the Sign-off on exit on?

BTW I spoke with my friend at ATT and he told me the same thing as the website said.

11. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

Do you also use AIM on your computer?

12. donm3ga thread starter macrumors member

Yessir

13. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

That is most likely the cause of your problem. Do you have text message forwarding setup on your computer? If you do, AIM sends the message to your phone using a text message. You need to make sure and turn that off. Every time you are getting a message it is being sent to your phone as an sms.

14. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

How many times does this need to be answered?

Texts are SMS.
    IM is data.

15. donm3ga thread starter macrumors member

I dont think so. I never set that up. I also have not registered a mobile device on aim.

Someone please tell me how to check if I am set up correctly or not because I don't know whats going on.

Thanks.

16. donm3ga thread starter macrumors member

YES, but its coming in SMS for me so I am trying to get it changed.

Relax. I used the search function before this.

17. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

You are correct. However, AIM is sort of causing its own problems as can be seen by this thread. I think people don't realize that if they have text forwarding turned on in AIM on their computer, those are text messages and are SMS.

Personally, ever since working technical support for a large computer manufacturer I have refused to use an AOL product of any sort. When AOL started getting included on free trials over 50% of our calls were related to AOL issues. AOL would always say it was a hardware problem and even when we would prove to the customers that the hardware was fine (connecting to something other than AOL) they wouldn't believe us because "AOL told me it's a hardware problem!"

I just consider AOL as being synonymous with virus or malware.

/rant

Sorry, way off topic.

18. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

When you are getting messages are they coming in to the SMS app or the AIM App? (And I mean all messages that are AIM related).

19. Jayden0606 macrumors 6502

I was referring to IMs. The user stated he was getting charged for IMs. AIM forwards show up as "AOL Text" or something stating text/sms.

Either way, the AIM app should not use anything but data.

20. donm3ga thread starter macrumors member

that's the thing I am not notified that they are coming I'm as SMS. I was checking my bill online and found out. I only receive aim messages when I physically have the app open.

21. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

Not sure what more to tell you. Sorry, I know it must be frustrating and this is probably not what you want to hear but I would recommend stopping using AIM until you can get a better answer. This may not come until you can actually see your bill and see what you are being charged for specifically.

22. Kyeris macrumors 6502

The easy way I think of it is, if you're having to actually go into the SMS application (not AIM application) and reply to messages, you should be charged. If not, you should be fine (using only data), if this is different I'm not sure maybe another attempt to contact AT&T

23. dima1109 macrumors newbie

Just pull out your sim card and try to IM someone through AIM. If you are successful, there is no way these can be billed as text.