AIM Instant Messenger

smilesalot89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
Ok, I'm new to using Macs but i know my way around them... I've tried about 10 times now to download AIM Aol Instant Messenger every time it downloads a file that will not install it just trys to open with other applications... is it even possible to get AIM for a Mac if so could someone please be kind enough to help me?

Thanks

smilesalot89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
i've never tried to use ichat didn't even know i had it i've just always used aim but i'll try it out thanks

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
i'd prolly use ichat instead of adium if it had tabbed chatting, adium always picks a random name and flashes it for no reason

Iamtherealwoody

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2007
Gainesville, Florida
Chax is actually pretty good, it adds tabs, notifications like adium, auto sizing for the buddy list, growl support, you can drag windows into tabs, and tabs into windows.
the only thing I like about adium over ichat+chax is iChat is UGLY! My adium is beautiful and compact and super functional. If I didnt have a cam or mic, id never use ichat.
No problems with file transfers here, only if the other person has an old version of AIM.

rockosmodurnlif

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2007
New York, NY
Hmm, I might have to try out Chax+iChat. I've been using Adium and I'm happy with it but I going to have to try this out because I've only been using Adium because of the features Chax replicates.

Isn't the iChat with Leopard supposed to do tabbed chats?

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
this may be a stupid question but does anyone know how to hind the buddies that are offline from showing up in the contact list? I'm on Adium 1.1

oops nevermind... haha

colorofjanuary

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2007
I haven't even been able to get in to use iChat yet. I try to sign into my AIM account (which I have no problem doing with Adium) and I get immediately disconnected from AIM. Before anything even happens. It's obnoxious because I really want to try out this webcam!

Any suggestions?