AIM/Office Suite for Panther 10.3?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by andreab35, Nov 29, 2008.

1. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Hi guys!

Please forgive me for being a pest for asking so many questions...
    As I have stated around for my forum posts, I'm going to be working on my cousin's laptop.
    She has an iBook g3, 10.3 Panther, 500mhz, 128MB RAM, 10 or 20 GB hard drive...

She really wants to use AIM on her laptop. My question for this is, has AOL come out with a download that supports Panther for IMing? I downloaded the latest release of their beta release for AIM for Mac, until I noticed it was for 10.4.9 or later.
    Or... is iChat a better to use with Panther?

And now my next question is... she needs an office suite. Is there an iWork version that will work with Panther... or a Microsoft Office Suite for Panther? Or does Open Office.org have their suite for Macs too... I looked on their website and they do have a version... but I wasn't sure if it was compatible with her laptop.

I have tried finding disks to stick Tiger on her laptop... but I can't seem to find anything. Another bad thing about it is that she had no restore disks come with the laptop when she bought it off eBay... so if I did something and something gets stuck... I wouldn't be able to revert back.

Thanks for the advice guys... I'm such a n00b at this Mac stuff... I just can't wait to get my MBA so I can learn more! :eek:

2. econoline06 macrumors 6502

econoline06

Just use iChat since it uses the AIM servers anyway. Microsoft Office 2004 or "X" will work just fine on Panther.

3. MKnight macrumors regular

MKnight

Why not use Google Docs?? It works great and you don't have to worry about installing software.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

On Panther, the version of AIM you need is 4.7, which was released in 2004 (only AOL... would btw release betas of the new AIM in November 08 that aren't compatible with Leopard /rant). You'll have to google around to find somewhere where you can get the old copy, though. I didn't see a way to get it off their site.

I'd prefer iChat, though.

As mentioned above, Office 2004 is fabulous.

5. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

sorry to put up this thread,is there a way to make office 2004 in panther open office 2007 files?i've searched and only found linux/windows solutions..
    Found Neooffice but I didn't understand if it opens office 2007 natively or not..

6. MKnight macrumors regular

MKnight

I do not believe that is possible.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...E1-CF69-48C4-BF2D-C4A8ACEEE520&displaylang=en

that converter should work for most files i think. also make sure that your install is up to date with all the updates that MS has released for it.

8. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

9. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Your best bet is to get people to stop sending important data in proprietary formats. Something like ODF or RTF can be read by everyone.

10. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

Tell that to some noob teachers..
    Altough it is not critical important,I am trying to downgrade to panther,tiger is a little heavy for my ibook,and if was something that can open that type of files was cool.

11. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Ahh yes... academia: realm of the proprietary formats and steadfast insistence on using inferior methods and software just because that's "how it's been done..." :D

Well I'd still recommend that you ask them to send you the stuff in RTF. Word can save as RTF natively, so it's as easy as them just selecting an option from a drop-down menu.

That said, you might want to check out NeoOffice. I think it might grok OOXML (but I'm not positive.)

12. portent macrumors 6502a

OpenOffice.org does not run on Panther, either. And practically nothing else that runs on Panther supports ODF, either.

13. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Yes it does. Not the most recent versions, but I guarantee you that I've run Oo_Org on Panther in the past.

14. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all the answers,I gave up on panther,I can't run java 5 apps,stuck with tiger..it will go :)

15. ElectroGhandi macrumors regular

ElectroGhandi

You are going to need more RAM in that iBook to run the Office stuff.

Panther is fine, I use it on my iBook.

16. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Yeah, you're definitely going to need to bump up the RAM. The CPU is probably fine, but the RAM has got to be upgraded if you wanna have a prayer of running anything more modern than c. 2002/2003.