AIM SMS charges?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by nomar383, Jul 14, 2008.

1. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

I can't seem to find the answer to this anywhere: will AIM use up some of my 200 SMS messages, or just data?

2. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

That's because you didn't try.

the answer is data, for the 83784927834th time

3. nomar383 thread starter macrumors 65816

nomar383

I tried google and this forum and after 15min, I just figured I'd ask. In the words of another forum member "chill your boner man". lol

EDIT: At least it wasnt a "Whats the difference between 3G and the original iPhone" thread lol

4. iStefmac macrumors regular

Where is the official legitimate source for your answer?

Absolutely everyone I talked to at the ATT store was under the impression that AIM uses SMS.

I asked 50 times because I'm well aware that every other AIM-capable phone on ATT and every other carrier uses SMS for txt messaging, but that the iPhone should be completely different.

If it uses Data, then they lied to me to get me to continue using unlimited sms.

5. The General macrumors 601

So the conclusion is that nothing you can do in the AIM app will charge YOU for SMS.

But, you can send other people SMS messages from it, by IMing +11231231234 and it will charge them depending on if their carrier charges for incoming text messages.

6. nomar383 thread starter macrumors 65816

nomar383

I typed in "aim sms" in both google and the forum search. Google gave me nothing useful, and I just now noticed that the same question was on the forum, it was just at the very bottom of the search, which is odd. Usually I am very good at checking for double posts, so could everybody "put it in neutral" for like 2 minutes please. lol, I know it's monday and all :)

7. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

Mobile IM charges

I just got a fat bill for text messages received, and like a dummy, stupid replies sent back to several scammers that hit my Yahoo account. I did not know that an Internet based messaging service was billable as a text message. I have switched software packages and hopefully the unwanted charges will stop. Spammers do cost people money!