AIM video chat with PC

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macsue, Mar 9, 2009.

1. macsue macrumors newbie

Unable to utilize webcam with others on PC webcams...continue to get error message that says "connection timed out" . Tried having PC member change firewall settings.... Is it something on MacBook side?

I know there is a simple answer to this that I am missing...

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. youssefm macrumors 6502

i get the same problem, i can't video chat with pc users using ichat.. so i just deleted it and downloaded adium.. also oovoo is good

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

I've had luck using Skype in situations where iChat was acting weird, FWIW.

5. macsue thread starter macrumors newbie

When I contacted tech support and they gave me a "test" buddy to put into AIM...it worked fine...so I'm thinking it is some other glitch ....

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Sounds like their PCs then, and it's going to be really hard to troubleshoot when we don't know anything about them.

7. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

Whenever I have problems with some of my PC friends, I use meebo.com. It works, but the interface is not as nice as iChat or Adium.

8. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Most likely a router/firewall issue with your friend on the PC end.

9. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

10. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

ive read somewhere that ichat cannot do video chat with the latest version of AIM for windows. Version 6.0 and higher i believe.
    Your friend would need to try an older version of aim that supports video chat. (5.9 i think)

i just gave up. not worth convincing my windows buddies to install an older version of aim

11. davwin macrumors regular

Tested AIM to iChat myself and got the same thing as elfxmilhouse found: Older version of AIM worked but the latest version did not.

Having said that, even after getting video chat working between the two it was subpar quality-wise :( We both installed Skype (supports Windows, Mac, Linux) and got dramatically better video and sound quality out of it on the same hardware... For what it's worth.

12. misssunshine macrumors newbie

Hi, so what's the solution to setting up a video chat with a windows PC user if I'm on a macbook? :)

13. theARNSKI macrumors regular

I noticed this as well. My girlfriend uses AIM on a PC and we only have problems when she invites me to the video chat. But if I invite her, then it goes through and it works fine.

14. davwin macrumors regular

The recommended way to video chat between Mac and Windows currently is to use Skype. AIM does not support high resolution video to iChat even if your camera does and - as posted already - there are known issues when connecting between AIM and iChat. Yes, it can work with specific/compatible versions but, it is not recommended. Skype allows for higher resolution video using the built in camera and up to HD video using external cameras, it is cross compatible between Windows, Linux and Mac and has a better audio codec; so better audio fidelity. Skype is free just like AIM or iChat and will almost always provide better quality at the same bandwidth than AIM to iChat will.

There are tons of other 3rd party solutions such as Vid from Logitech, Meebo, Oovoo, etc, etc so try out a few and see what works best for you. To be blunt though, there are alot of sites out there that have already done extensive testing between video clients like these and none (of the free clients) have rated higher than Skype so far. Just FYI

15. misssunshine macrumors newbie

That's great! But how do i use Skype to video call? I'm supposed to use iChat together with Skype right? I've logged in to an AOL account. What do i do next? :/

16. John585 macrumors member

I like using skype for video chats but I still want to use ichat theater. Are there any 3rd party apps or sites that can do something similar?

17. davwin macrumors regular

You won't use Skype and iChat together, you will run Skype instead of iChat. Once Skype is running and you/your friend have created your free user accounts you add each other to your Buddy lists, click on the little camera icon next to their name in your list to start a Video Call. Thats it.

As far as integration between iChat and Skype or using the iChat theater and such, we all wish this would happen but so far it hasn't :( You'll need to run each app independantly for now.