Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gzillaration

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
check it out, it doesnt show up as an update though. I have the free version, just uninstall and reinstall it and it will ask u to use push notification services.

apple desperately needs to make a manager on the lock screen or something cuz its gonna get verrrrry annoying

gzillaration

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
yea but then if i have multiple apps with push turned on, wouldnt it be nice to have a tiny icon on the lock screen with the badge there too?

ODog4523

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2009
WTF...not working for me. Still trying to get notifications to work in AP mobile too...

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
It's nice that AIM is intuitive about push

Meaning - if you set it to log out immediately when closing the app, push turns off (not an option) - if you decide to stay in from 5 min on to the longest amount - it comes back on

Clete2

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
USA
Well, I noticed that, if I sign into AIM on my PC, I don't get the "you're already logged in message" and when I am messaging someone, I get constant notices from my phone. :(

deimos256

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
With this update i think ill actually use it
although doesnt beejive do multiple Im services?

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
Too bad this AIM is horrible with battery life.. I'm seeing 1% drain every few minutes just chillin' out in aim.

What they need for a decent IM app is for it to not maintain a "active" live connection to the internet.. instead use a proxy and just push all incoming and outgoing IMs so that it's just like the Sidekick IM app which hardly uses any battery life by avoiding live connections..

But, Apple's API won't allow for outgoing pushes I bet.. They just need to hurry up and make a nice iChat app, ugh.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Hmm -- I set my disconnect time for 24 hours after exiting the app.

Why doesn't my screen name go idle after 10 or 20 minutes? Is there way to do this?

Rob Mclovin

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2008
Hmm -- I set my disconnect time for 24 hours after exiting the app.

Why doesn't my screen name go idle after 10 or 20 minutes? Is there way to do this?

No, Mobile AIM doesnt go idle. Ive seen people online for 4 days straight and still say they are available. I just always keep it on Away if i keep it on 24 hours.

BulkHedd

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2006
I was just checking it out and push is working great. Something I found, though, is that it doesn't look like you can cut/copy from received IMs.

alansaysstop

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2009
Roseville
Yeah I'm pretty impressed with this. I've been waiting for this feature to come out since I got my 3G on launch day. I went from a sidekick and always being on aim to just checking who's online every once in awhile. Way to go AOL/Apple!

vc454469

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2009
excuse me for asking but what does this push business mean in aim? im assuming its similar to email when the messages come in almost realtime... but ive used aim for 2 years on my iphone and my ims have alawys came in on their own?... maybe im missing something

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
excuse me for asking but what does this push business mean in aim? im assuming its similar to email when the messages come in almost realtime... but ive used aim for 2 years on my iphone and my ims have alawys came in on their own?... maybe im missing something

It means that you can quit your aim app and do something else, and if someone messages you a push notification pop up will show up allowing you to respond.

skymastr16

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2008
Does anyone know a way around this problem:

the aim free app only allows you to stay logged into the account for 24 hours before it logs you out. If you are logged out after that 24 hours aim will no longer push messages to your iphone.

does anyone know of anything that we can do to ensure we don't get logged out after 24 hours WITHOUT logging in everyday if we don't get a message within that 24 hour period?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.