Aim

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jjleon2, May 9, 2008.

1. jjleon2 macrumors newbie

the aol instant messenger i downloaded from the aol site really sucks it keeps closing due to errors or something along those lines. is there something i can do to keep it from closing or something? thanks for any suggestions

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i wouldn't recommend using aol's aim program. it hasn't been updated in four years, and you'd be much better off using a program like ichat or adium.

3. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

I recommend Adium, except if you need to do video chats and large file transfers. If you need those, I suggest using iChat.

4. jjleon2 thread starter macrumors newbie

what is adium? oh and btw if anyone knows, my sister told me about this, but she said that there is a messenger that links all of your buddies from like say yahoo or aim or from anywhere else and you can chat to all of them without having to sign in to a bunch of different messenger programs. does anyone know what im talking about?

5. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Yes, that is adium. It lets you log onto almost any messenger (yahoo, msn, etc.) and you can download it at www.adiumx.com

IF you just want to use AIM. iChat is the best. iChat is already installed on your computer

6. mackk macrumors member

Can someone who uses their AIM through ichat talk to someone who uses adium?

7. benzslrpee macrumors 6502

benzslrpee

yes...any chat client that can connect to the AIM servers can communicate with each other. this will include: Adium, iChat, Google chat, Trillian etc.