AIO iMac still viable in 2"16?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by fob, Oct 26, 2015.

1. fob macrumors member

fob

Good chance next years rMBP will come with usb c and tb3, and we might even see a 5k thunderbolt display alongside. Why not just get the rMBP and hook it a to the 5k monitor with greater versatility considering desktop cpu improvements and imac gpu improvements have slowed to a crawl? Skylake iris pro could be close to the M380, a new dgpu on rmbp plus the possibility of egpu support from tb3

2. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

I cannot fathom how any sane man could entertain the idea of Intel graphics on a par with dedicated AMD/NV GPUs and then purport to have a valid opinion.

3. jerwin macrumors 65816

Intel has been destroying the low end market for AMD and nVidia for some years now.

4. fob, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015

fob thread starter macrumors member

fob

As a base option, next gen iris pro will be on par with m380. Apple was forced to go with m380 because no skylake iris pro was available. Next year Apple will pad their margings by going igpu for the base 27 as well. But that wont be an issue with tb3 and egpu. 'Proper' egpu support>imac dgpu

5. jerwin macrumors 65816

I chanced upon this review of the skylake cpus--

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/14

Now, the 6600 and 6700 cpus don't have superb integrated graphics. The 5775C, however, has a Iris Pro 6200. It crushes the other Integrated chipsets-- as expected. It also gives better significantly performance than a R7 240 on four of the five games tested.

If you have an Iris Pro, a low end discrete chipset isn't worth it. The midrange cards (r9 285; quite possibly equivalent to a r9 m395, and a gtx 770), though... They're still leagues better.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/15

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You're assuming apple is going to improve the MBP for speed and not thinness and wireless (less ports). Look at apple's prior history we see thinner laptops and less ports.

When the skylake chipset comes out with the improved iGPU, Don't you think apple will improve the 4k iMac line?

I think the 5k iMac is a nice upgrade though I'm no fan of AMD GPUs.

Btw, the 15" MBP starts off at 1900, throw in a 4k or 5k monitor and it outstrips the cost of iMac. True you gain portability but then you shouldn't be buying an iMac if you have mobility needs.

7. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Because I hate having a laptop connected to a display. It's so tedious having to hook it up and makes me not want to do it often. Also, I hate big laptops.

The perfect setup is 5k iMac and rMB.

Source? Sounds silly.