Aiport devices no longer reaching potential

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jliehr, Oct 20, 2013.

1. jliehr macrumors newbie

Hi,

In my home I have an AirPort Extreme base station acting as the main router downstairs and upstairs an airport express base station running in extend mode. This setup worked fantastic for a while, 30megabits or more all around the home, one day it decided to stop working properly. Now I only get around 3 megabits on the far end of the house where it use to be 25-30 megabits. So I thought it was very odd and it troubled me for a while. I finally detected that it was the airport express causing the problem. I did a soft reset using airport utility which fixed it for about a day. Now the problem persists and soft reset does absolutely nothing. I figured I'd try a hard reset, same problem. The devices on the end of the house also don't seem to be connecting to the express, but the devices within the same room as the express connect fine and get great speeds. What's going on here and how could I fix it? It's extremely frustrating!

Thanks!

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

First you need to be detective with the wireless network.

1. First download the program iStumbler 99 (only for 10.6.x) or iStumbler Beta (for 10.7.x or 10.8.x). This way you could see if any other wireless network is messing up your network and you could change the channel in your router to be offset of that other wireless network that is transmitting on the same channel.

Plus did you start having this problem for no reason or did a new device get added to your wireless network?

3. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

For info, iStumbler 99 works perfectly with Lion and Mountain Lion.

4. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

If you did a reset then chances are the settings have been changed. Maybe it's no longer in extend mode or it has been reset to be a true router. Do you have the option of a LAN connect as a temporary measure ? That way you can troubleshoot the AE, the WiFi and the interconnection independently.