Aiport Disk iTunes NAS setup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by joelovesapple, Feb 23, 2009.

1. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

Hey,

Does anyone know what I mean by this?

Basically I have got an airport extreme base station wireless N. My mac has N too and I wish to set up a wireless music solution so that all of my music is accessible wirelessly from a hard disk which is plugged into the airport extreme. Is this relatively easy to set up or is it not worth the hassle, if like me, you have shed loads of music you wouldn't want to mess around with if you don't need to?

I worry about stuff like where the iTunes folder reads the music to and would like to avoid all the hard complicated crap if I can.

Thanks. Hope this makes sense. :)

NB: Hard disk is roughly 320GB and i currently use it for time machine but seeing as time machine has crapped out on me I'd like to do this method as if i ever had a problem with my mac, it wouldn't take my music with it.

2. joelovesapple thread starter macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

3. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

I don't see the point of this. I'm assuming you're using one Mac, not wanting to share the music between multiple Macs.

You're far better off using the external drive for backups, Time Machine or otherwise.

If you want your music to be separated from your OS then you could either partition your internal drive or just plug the external directly into your iMac and dump it on there.

4. joelovesapple thread starter macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I've got my MacBook Pro working with a similar set up, though I'm only using 802.11g.

The main problem is it is really slow. Loading a new album can take up to 2 or 3 minutes. It's not just because of the wireless connection either, it's still almost as slow over Gigabit Ethernet too.

Another problem is if when you leave iTunes open and let the computer go to sleep. When you wake it up it takes about 20-30 seconds before you get access to the disc and in the meantime iTunes can't find the media and has reverted to the default music folder.

My MBP isn't my main computer so I put up with it but it would be a bit of a chore if I had to use it for my primary iTunes.