Aiport Express 802.11N Ethernet connection

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by xperton3, Jan 3, 2009.

1. xperton3 macrumors member

Hey guys....I have a Netgear wireless N router and i just purchased an Airport Express N base station. I want to use the ethernet port on the Express to connect to a Blu Ray player that only has ethernet (no wireless). I read somewhere that WDS will work. Can someone please explain to me how to do this? Thanks

2. mpshay macrumors 6502

I thought you had to be using an airport extreme to do that, but not 100% certain. I had a similar problem before I ran Cat 6 throughout the house and I went the powerline Ethernet route with prety good results.

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

You don't want WDS - that extends a wireless network so wireless devices out of range of the main router can connect to it. You want ProxySTA. I haven't set that up myself but take a look at http://www.macworld.com/article/132754/2008/03/express11n.html

I believe you enable Allow Ethernet Clients using Airport Utility and then any device connected to the Express ethernet port will use its wireless. You could even put a switch in there to connect multiple non-wireless devices if needed.

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

just set it up to "join a network", enter your network and password, and make sure "allow ethernet clients" is checked.

5. xperton3 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you guys, this worked like a charm.....