Aiport Express VS Airport Extreme - Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by doobybiggs, Aug 11, 2013.

1. doobybiggs, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013

doobybiggs macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

I have been reading up on the airport express and as I am about to have to buy a new router when my roommate leaves.

1) Is the main feature of this, just the fact it is easy to setup and control over all apple devices? Versus other router brands on the market?

2) I am going to need to setup a network printer which I see you just plug in the USB cable to the express. Now if I wanted to have a network drive as well, is it easy to add a network storage device on the Express? I know for the Extreme it already comes with options to add both, can I add more than one external storage device?

3) How is the built in firewall for them? Can you turn it on/off and use your own if needed?

4) I also see that you cannot hardwire a desktop to the express without getting much slower speeds than if you would just connect on wifi, correct?

5) Why did apply drop Airplay on the Extreme?

6) I guess the big thing I am just trying to figure out is ... why these 2 routers command so much more money than other routers on the market. Is it because of that damn black apple logo again?

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

The Express does not do network storage. The Extreme can have more than one device connected by using an external USB hub.

Sort of, but probably irrelevant. The Express has a 100Mb/s Ethernet port for the LAN side. However unless you have greater than 100Mb/s Internet service, you'll never notice the difference. The Extreme is also a switch, so it has 1Gb/s Ethernet ports so that two computers plugged into the Extreme can communicate with each other at Gigabit speeds. There is no switch in the Express, so presumably you'd plug in your own Gigabit Ethernet switch so you'll have the same result.

They didn't "drop" it, the Extreme has never supported AirPlay. The Express is designed to be an easy add-on to your Extreme network so you can use the Express as an AirPlay receiver at a location where that would be useful.

3. doobybiggs thread starter macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

Hmmm, well is there a way with the express to setup a shared network device at all?

That is true a giga switch would be best for that

ooooh I see, another :apple: ploy to get more money out of ya

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

if you have another NAS on the network, the express will work with that. but there is no way to do it with the express by itself and a hard drive that only has a USB connection

5. doobybiggs thread starter macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

don't have a NAS, just a normal USB external drive.

Well, I guess that ruins the express then for since I cannot add on storage for the network.

6. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Damn them and their convenient products ;)

I'm sure some people could use an AirPlay receiver at the location where their wifi router will be located (typically next to your Internet connection). I have no use in that location so I've never missed the feature being on the Extreme. I do have an Express running my deck speakers, and a couple :apple:TVs as well.

7. doobybiggs thread starter macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

so the :apple: TV wont work with the Extreme or what? Why the need for the express to be able to run that?

8. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I have an express running AirPlay speakers, and Apple TVs running AirPlay video & audio to my televisions. You could run one, the other, or both. You could use an Express, Extreme, Time Capsule, or even 3rd party router with any of those.

9. doobybiggs thread starter macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

Ah ok glad to hear it .. ill be getting apple tv as well pretty soon.

10. doobybiggs thread starter macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

11. priitv8 macrumors 68020

There's no specific or configurable firewall. Just NAT and port-mapping. And you can block all IPv6 Incoming requests. That's it.
    I'd say, the situation is the same it was in 2007:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2231533,00.asp

12. doobybiggs thread starter macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

So then this is a lie? .. Pic attached

Attached Files:

13. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

"Firewall" is a pretty generic term. AirPort definitely has one, it's just not configurable with a lot of options. Plenty adequate for me and for most users, but if you like a lot of customizable options with ports, etc. it doesn't do that.

14. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Well, i have no hard facts how's this firewall implemented internally, but the NAT & Port Forwarding stuff has a side effect, that all ports that you haven't specifically re-routed on APX are closed and the router just drops everything sent to those destinations.
    Any connection initiated from your LAN side is allowed to pass through, anything coming from WAN side is dropped by default.