Aiport Exteme (USB Drive)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ZeRoLiMiT, Mar 1, 2014.

1. ZeRoLiMiT macrumors 6502a

ZeRoLiMiT

I got my new Airport Extreme and its blazing fast! and works amazing! only problem is I can't get the USB hard drive to work. I went on google and a few people said you had to format it in order to work but i have 1tb full of movies. Its on NTFS

2. koerk macrumors regular

koerk

It has to be hfs+ file format like your internal Mac drive

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You can use exfat, FAT32 or Mac format, but not NTFS. You will need to backup your data, reformat the drive and then copy back your movies.

4. ZeRoLiMiT thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZeRoLiMiT

5. L T macrumors 6502

L T

Before I make a new topic maybe you could help me,

I am trying to do the same as above, however my drive is formatted to Mac already.

Although it is partitioned to have some space for a time machine, I plug it in and it says the disk needs to be repaired when I open up disk utility.

Can I not use it on the airport if it is portioned?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

An Airport Extreme will work fine with multiple partitions. It sounds like your disk is corrupted. I would attach it to your Mac and use Disk Utility to repair the disk and see what that does.

7. L T macrumors 6502

L T

Thanks, you have helped me solve many a problem on here Weaselboy!

Will I lose any of the stuff on the drive it it repair it?

Just so you know this happened with 3 different drives that I plugged into the AirPort

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You shouldn't, but it is possible if the drive is failing running a repair on it would push it over the edge. What is more common if the drive is bad (and assuming you can still read data on it) is for Disk Utility to tell you it cannot fix the drive

Hmmm... this is odd. :confused:

So you attach a drive to your Mac and made two partitions then formatted each in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) then you get this message when you attach to the AE? This happens with three different drives following the same sequence?

What is you make one with just one partition and attach it to the AE to see what happens just as a test?

9. L T macrumors 6502

L T

I have 3 drives

2 x WD Elements 2TB and 1 x WD Elements 500GB

Both 2TB are partitioned, a split for Time Machine and External Storage.

The 500GB is currently being cleared so I can re-format it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) so I can try it out.

Turns out that one of the 2TB drive was partitioned in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for the Back Up and in ExFat for the external storage. I will change that when I can move stuff off the drive and do it.

The other 2TB drives is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) on both partitions and wouldn't work.

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You can format it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then you can partition it however you want. Mac OS Extended supports large drives like that, and when attached to the Extreme, Windows PCs can see and edit the files too despite being in a Mac format!

11. ZeRoLiMiT thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZeRoLiMiT

ok it worked! I bought a USB hug and have 3 external drives connected.

thanks all

12. L T macrumors 6502

L T

Thanks guys, I am also sorted.

Sucks that I had to buy an app to access the files on my iPad though!

13. ZeRoLiMiT, Mar 2, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2014

ZeRoLiMiT thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZeRoLiMiT

2 birds with 1 stone haha

what app are you talking about?

Edit: found this app (FileBrowser)

14. POTMONSTER macrumors newbie

Hello all and sorry to jump in on the thread..

Just bought the new Macbook pro retina display and added a airport extreme and express.
    ok tried adding a USB 1TB storage drive to the extreme but it wouldnt even see it.. after reading the above thread i deleted it and reformatted to MAC OS EXTENDED..
    OK now the EXTREME now can be seen in my finder which i couldn't see before..
    now i try connect to it and it brings up my password to connect but every time i press connect it just shakes as though im using the wrong password..
    it come's up already with the saved keychain password but still shakes... i only have password which i know, checked keychain and it shows same password but still no go..
    Can anyone help me please.

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What do you have in Airport Utility here under Secure Shared Disks? There are three options... device PW, disk PW, and accounts.

Depending on what you picked, the PW here may be different than your normal login PW.

[​IMG]

16. POTMONSTER macrumors newbie

thanks for your reply.

sorry newbie question... how do i take a screen shot like yourself

17. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hit shift-command-4 keys all three at once and you will get a crosshair target popup. Then you have two choices. You can then use that crosshair with the mouse to select (lasso) the area you want to cap. Or option two you can then hit the space bar and any app or panel you hover over will be shaded blue. When you are over the app you want to grab just click the mouse.

18. POTMONSTER macrumors newbie

your the man....it is now sorted just set it to device password and bingo... but still how do i screen shot

----------

thanks buddy...

19. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

I have 4 wd drives hanging off the AirPort Extreme and they work pretty nicely except that they don't always get picked up by my Wdtv Live. Go figure that the wdtv has trouble with their own drives. Seems to have something to do with the sleep mode on the dives and the fact that there's no way to keep them on at all times.

20. ZeRoLiMiT thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZeRoLiMiT

The way mine shows up is on the side it will require you to login with the password.

21. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

By default, guest access gives full access. However, user accounts can be configured as well as just using the base station password. I would never do that as you are giving out the admin password to the router then...

22. POTMONSTER macrumors newbie

hi all.

pop back in on this helpful thread.:)

OK first question airport extreme... do i need a powered USB hub to run more harddrives..

Second question
    I have four WD 2TB drives in my old windows PC which id like to still use.. is there a caddy that i could use the four/3 or even two and connect that to my extreme
    dont really understand yet setting the drives in raid and what nots so for another day that but if i did get a caddy for the four id like to mirror 2 on 2 to keep my date safe in case one goes down.

Thanks for looking in

23. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

If the drives are just drives ( no enclosure ) then they will need to be placed in one...I'll post a link to the many options at the end of this post.

If the drives are powered, then connecting them to a decent USB hub should work, but I prefer a powered hub for two reasons:

1) I dislike drawing current from either of my Mac's Logic Boards

2) They are more reliable than the LB powered types.

I use a Satachi 10 port with an iPad charging port and the option to switch out unused ports. It has a high quality 5AMP PSU and works well with all the peripherals I have attached to it:

Satachi USB 3 Hubs:

http://www.satechi.net/index.php/satechi-10-port-usb-3-hub

And HDD enclosures:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...IT+hdd+enclosure&rh=i:aps,k:CIT+hdd+enclosure

I can recommend the C.I.T USB 3 enclosure as I use one myself...I'm after another as the one I have was a free test unit, but it supports drives put to 4TB and is actually faster than the enclosure my 2TB WD came in.

Hope this helps.

24. POTMONSTER macrumors newbie

Hello my friend and thanks for your prompt reply.

yes the usb hub question was aimed at powering two USB external drives.

also the four WD 2TB bare units... will this work for them
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Icybox-Exte...394026934&sr=1-1&keywords=hdd+enclosure+4+bay

out the 8TB i would like two sets of 4TB each... so when i send some media to one pair (4TB) it also copies to the other pair 4TB

----------

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Icybox-Exte...394026934&sr=1-1&keywords=hdd+enclosure+4+bay

maybe wrong one just looking at it... don't look to be USB

25. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Any powered USB hub will connect the drives to run multiple at once. Please ensure the PSU is enough power for the drives...

By "caddy" I am guessing you mean like a disk NAS of some sort. That would be out of the AirPort's hands then and on a different device.