Aiport Extreme & Express - Private home network with public hotspot

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by GilesTH, Jun 26, 2014.

1. GilesTH macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

I have a Airport Extreme (AEx) and an Airport Express (AE). trying to create a home network with internet access provided by another WIFI network.

Internet access is provided by a local hotel's wifi network. Username and password provided by Hotel. The hotel's network assigns IP addresses, 192.168.1.xx. Speed is around 2-10MB

I can connect the AE to the hotel network and 'Join the wireless network'.

When I connect the AEx to the AE via Ethernet cable, I can access the internet, but each device is assigned the IP address from the hotels DCHP, so all my devices are now 192.168.1.x.

Now my network devices are visible to the public network and I can see the hotel devices, so this is not as secure as I would like. The speed is not degraded.

How do I configure the AEx to create a home network that is private and uses the internet access through the AE?

I want to create a home network with the AEx. On the home network, I want to assign IP addresses, such as 10.xx.xx.xx for all of my devices.

I have tried to setup the home network first, then add the AE connection, but I cannot connect to the internet.

I think I want it to share a single hotel IP address as the internet gateway.

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Giles

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hi,

what version of Airport Utility are you using ?

3. GilesTH thread starter macrumors newbie

Airport Utility for Windows Version 5.6.1
    current version on ipad is 1.3.3

Thanks

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Sorry I won't be able to help you as I no longer have AU 5.6.1.

Hope some one else come and help you.
    Sorry again.

5. GilesTH thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

On the iPad, open AirPort Utility and select the Extreme. Go in and change it from Bridge Mode to DHCP and NAT. It will throw a Double NAT warning but you can ignore it, and your Extreme will now be the router on the private network.