Aiport Extreme / External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by myyours, Jun 5, 2008.

1. myyours macrumors newbie

Hello all. Long time, first time.

Alongside my Macbook, I have an 500 GB external hard drive that I use mostly for music. The frustration has been brewing for awhile, and I'm finally fed up with having to unmount/unplug the external every time that I want to move my book around the apartment.

So, I'm thinking about getting an Airport Extreme base station and plugging the external drive into that, thus creating a little wireless kingdom. Obviously, I know that the transfer speeds won't be as quick as it is when plugged directly into the book.

Does anybody else have a setup like this? Will the performance setbacks outweigh the convenience? I'd imagine streaming video would create a much more noticeable lag than music files would. Will iTunes really suffer dramatically because of this setup, especially if we're talking about a 250 GB library?

My main music concerns aside, where else might I notice the biggest setbacks? There will obviously be times when I'll absolutely need to plug it in, but I'm hoping those would be few and far between.

Is there a better idea than this to make things more wireless?

Hey. Thanks!

2. matperk macrumors 6502

You'd still have to unmount the drive every time you want to leave, you're just saving yourself the unplug time.

3. myyours thread starter macrumors newbie

One out of two ain't bad, I suppose.